Calculating Exponents and Roots: A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter shortd81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, the formula for calculating points in a competition is Points = (PrizePool^1/2) / (PlaceFinished^3/5). This can be done by taking the square root of the prize pool and then taking the fifth root of the place finished and cubing it. This can also be done using a calculator by using the "^" key or the "log" and "10x" keys.
shortd81
This is the formual
Points = (PrizePool^1/2) / (PlaceFinished^3/5)

Here are two examples:

[tex]266.08=(70,800^{1/2})/(1^{3/5})[/tex]
[tex]137.64=(70,800 ^{1/2})/(3^{3/5})[/tex]

Now I got the first part because it's basically a the square root of the the number. But how do I do the 3/5 one?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
take the fifth root of the number and then cube it.

How do you do that honestly?

what do you mean by how ?

I can't say I understand your problem, but, as courtrigrad said, [tex]a^{m/n}=\sqrt[n]{a^m}[/tex], I hope that comes in handy.

how do you cube it?

Do you know what "cube" MEANS? Just multiply it by itself twice: a3= a*a*a. It's much harder to find the fifth root! The simplest way to do a problem like that is to use a calulator that allows exponents: The TI calculators, for example, have a "^" key. [itex]3^{3/5}[/itex] is 3 "^" (3/5) on such a calculator.
You can also do it using the "log" and "10x" keys:
[tex]3^{3/5}= 10^{(3/5)log 3}[/itex]

courtrigrad said:
take the fifth root of the number and then cube it.

HallsofIvy said:
Do you know what "cube" MEANS? Just multiply it by itself twice: a3= a*a*a. It's much harder to find the fifth root! The simplest way to do a problem like that is to use a calulator that allows exponents: The TI calculators, for example, have a "^" key. [itex]3^{3/5}[/itex] is 3 "^" (3/5) on such a calculator.
You can also do it using the "log" and "10x" keys:
[tex]3^{3/5}= 10^{(3/5)log 3}[/itex]

So is it possible by using a regular calculator?

shortd81 said:
So is it possible by using a regular calculator?

If you have a root key or a log key, yes.

What do you mean by a "regular calculator"? AS CRGreathouse said, if your calculator as either a general "root" key, usually with a "xy" or "^" on it, or if it has a "log" (typically with 10x as "second function") then you can do such calculations, yes.

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a small number written above and to the right of a base number to indicate how many times the base number should be multiplied by itself.

2. How do I simplify exponents?

To simplify exponents, you can use the exponent rules which state that when multiplying exponential expressions with the same base, you can add the exponents, and when dividing, you can subtract the exponents.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative exponent?

A positive exponent indicates that the base number is being multiplied by itself a certain number of times, while a negative exponent indicates that the base number is being divided by itself a certain number of times.

4. How do I solve exponential equations?

To solve exponential equations, you can use the properties of logarithms or rewrite the equation in its logarithmic form. You can also solve them using trial and error or by graphing the equation.

5. Why are exponents important in scientific calculations?

Exponents are important in scientific calculations because they allow us to represent very large or small numbers in a more concise and efficient way. They are also used in many scientific formulas and equations to represent relationships between variables.