Program to write neat equations and problems

• Thread starter future_vet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTeX for creating equations on the forum. One person suggests using a program called 'eqe' on Linux, while another explains how to use the built-in LaTeX capabilities on the forum. Resources for learning LaTeX are also provided.
future_vet
Hello!

When I seek help on this forum, it is often difficult to make the equations look good and easy to understand.
Would you know of a program that fixes this problem and also works on Linux?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I disagree; it is very easy to make your posts look attractive and readable. You use the built in LaTeX capabilities of the forum. LaTeX is a free typesetting language (actually, TeX is the language, LaTeX a bunch of macros written in TeX) available for Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, BSD, and even Windows, to name but a few.

Anyway, there is no need to use LaTeX on your own machine if you just want to post here. Just use the correct tags [ tex ] and [/ tex ] without the spaces, and put your LaTeX code in between. There are plenty of guides on how to use LaTeX (use your initiative, or Google, to find one).

Last edited:
I assumed that future_vet already knows about PF's LaTeX processor and simply doesn't want to write the LaTeX code by hand. But if he doesn't know about it yet, then the place to start is the following thread at the top of the "Math & Science Tutorials" forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

May be this would help, too.
http://www.hamline.edu/~arundquist/equationeditor/

Just enclose the code within the [tex] [ /tex ] tags (there should be no space between '[' and '/').

1. How can I write equations and problems neatly in a program?

There are several programs available for writing equations and problems neatly, such as LaTeX, MathType, and Microsoft Word's equation editor. These programs offer various tools and features to help you format and organize your equations and problems effectively.

2. Can I insert mathematical symbols and notations in my equations and problems?

Yes, most equation writing programs have a library of mathematical symbols and notations that you can insert into your equations and problems. You can also create custom symbols and notations if needed.

3. How do I align multiple equations or problems neatly?

Many programs have alignment options that allow you to align equations and problems vertically or horizontally. You can also use the tab and space keys to manually align your equations and problems.

4. Is there a way to save and reuse my equations and problems?

Yes, most equation writing programs allow you to save your equations and problems as templates or snippets that you can easily insert into future documents. You can also save your equations and problems as image files for later use.

5. Can I convert my equations and problems into different formats?

Yes, many programs have the option to convert your equations and problems into various formats, such as PDF, HTML, and image files. This can be helpful when sharing your work with others or using it in different programs.