Converting mks energy density to cgs

In summary, the energy density of the electric and magnetic fields in the SI system is given by u = \frac{\epsilon_{0} E^{2}}{2} + \frac{B^{2}}{2 \mu_{0}}. To derive an exact expression for the energy density in the Gaussian system of units, one can use the fact that in Coulomb's law, \epsilon_{0} has been eliminated by redefining the electric charge, and \mu_{0} has been eliminated by using the speed of light. In the cgs system, there are still epsilon and mu constants, but they are related to 4\pi and the speed of light in a different way. It is important to be aware
syang9

Homework Statement

In the SI system, the energy density of the electric and magnetic fields is:

[tex]
u = \frac {\epsilon_{0} E^{2}}{2} + \frac{B^{2}}{2 \mu_{0}}
[/tex]

From the equation above, derive an exact expression for the energy density [tex] U [/tex] in the Gaussian system of units.

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously the energy densities must be proportional to the squares of the intensities. So, I can start with

[tex] U_{tot} = E^{2} + B^{2} [/tex]

I know that cgs eliminates the need for epsilon and mu, but I haven't a clue as to how to start from that one equation. Previously in the assignment, my instructor mentions that in Coulomb's law, [tex] \epsilon_{0} [/tex] has been eliminated by redefining the electric charge in the Coulomb law ([tex] \frac{q_{1} q_{2}}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \rightarrow q_{1} q_{2} [/tex]) and [tex] \mu_{0} [/tex] has been eliminated by using the speed of light: [tex] \mu_{0} \rightarrow \frac{1}{c^{2} \epsilon_{0}} [/tex].

However I haven't a clue as to how to proceed with this information. Any hints would be great! Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
There's an epsilon and a mu in the cgs system as well. There's something linked with #-s and 4\pi-s that differs. On a second thought, since i haven't used cgs since college, go and check the 3-rd and 2-nd editions of JD Jackson's electrodynamics book to see everything exactly.

Last edited:
syang9 said:

Homework Statement

In the SI system, the energy density of the electric and magnetic fields is:

[tex]
u = \frac {\Epsilon_{0} E^{2}}{2} + \frac{B^{2}}{2 \mu_{0}}
[/tex]

From the equation above, derive an exact expression for the energy density [tex] U [/tex] in the Gaussian system of units. Stephen
Hopefully you found this one already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_stress-energy_tensor

If [tex] \frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} = 1[/tex], then [tex]\epsilon_{0} = \frac {1}{4 \pi}[/tex], and likewise for magnetic field.

Although, often epsilon is not what it seems in cgs. It really depends on whether you are looking at emu or esu. I recommend this document, which gives you a little taste of the complications of calling [tex] 4 \pi = [/tex] 1, or [tex] \epsilon_{0} =[/tex] 1, despite it's readability difficulties:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8520766/Cgs-Electricity-and-Magnetism

1. How do I convert MKS energy density to CGS?

The conversion factor for MKS energy density to CGS is 1 J/m³ = 10^7 erg/cm³. To convert, simply multiply the MKS energy density by 10^7.

2. What is the formula for converting MKS energy density to CGS?

The formula is E(cgs) = E(mks) x 10^7, where E(cgs) is the energy density in CGS units and E(mks) is the energy density in MKS units.

3. Why do we need to convert between MKS and CGS units for energy density?

MKS (meter-kilogram-second) and CGS (centimeter-gram-second) are two different systems of measurement for physical quantities. In order to compare or use energy density values in different systems, we need to convert between them.

4. Can I use an online calculator to convert MKS energy density to CGS?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can convert energy density between different systems of units. Just make sure to double check the results to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any other common units used for energy density besides MKS and CGS?

Yes, there are other units such as SI (International System of Units) and imperial units that are commonly used for energy density. It is important to be familiar with different units and be able to convert between them when necessary.