Analyzing Forces on a Hockey Puck

• Thread starter reignofdragons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the only forces acting on the hockey puck sliding along a horizontal, smooth icy surface at a constant velocity are weight and net force.
reignofdragons
A hockey puck slides along a horizontal, smooth icy surface at a constant velocity as shown.

Draw a free-body diagram for the puck. Which of the following forces are acting on the puck?

1. weight
2. friction
3. force of velocity
4. force of push
5. normal force
6. air drag
7. acceleration

Combinations of answers that were wrong

ABCDEF
ABCE
ACE

I've been at this for awhile and can't picture what's going on. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which do you think are acting on the hockey puck? Never mind the answers that were rejected... what's your feeling as to the right answer?

sorry for posting in wrong section

Well...what i thought was

-a puck obviously has weight (1)
-since it's on ice, i think I'm supposed to assume there's no friction (2)
-it has some kind of velocity, so i believe there is a force of velocity (3)
-not sure about force of push...i think we're supposed to assume it's just moving on it's own (4)
-well since there's a weight, which probably means there's a down acceleration due to gravity, there's probably a normal force (5)
-air drag is probably negligible (6)
-not sure what kind of acceleration...since it's moving at a constant rate, i know there's no acceleration in that direction, but what about gravity? (7)

reignofdragons said:
sorry for posting in wrong section

Well...what i thought was

-a puck obviously has weight (1)

yup, 1) is definitely right.

-since it's on ice, i think I'm supposed to assume there's no friction (2)

I agree.

-it has some kind of velocity, so i believe there is a force of velocity (3)

But velocity isn't a force... there isn't anything I'm aware of such as a force of velocity...

-not sure about force of push...i think we're supposed to assume it's just moving on it's own (4)

yup... plus I don't think "force of push" is a real force of any kind... a force is a push or a pull... but a "force of push" sounds strange...

-well since there's a weight, which probably means there's a down acceleration due to gravity, there's probably a normal force (5)

Yes, there's definitely a normal force.

-air drag is probably negligible (6)

I'd say air drag is a force acting on the puck... might be negligible... but they haven't explicitly stated anything about it... so I'd say it is there...

-not sure what kind of acceleration...since it's moving at a constant rate, i know there's no acceleration in that direction, but what about gravity? (7)

Yes, there's no acceleration... the normal forces balances gravity... but more importantly acceleration isn't a force...

Even if the puck is on ice, I wouldn't automatically assume no friction. Otherwise hockey pucks could be tapped slightly and potentially go across entire arenas. I'd say include at least a small friction force opposing motion.

Help

There will be only Weight and Net Force acting on the puck. AE would be your answer.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing forces on a hockey puck?

The purpose of analyzing forces on a hockey puck is to determine the various forces acting on the puck during gameplay. This information can help coaches and players understand the physics behind the movement of the puck and make strategic decisions to improve gameplay.

2. What are the main forces acting on a hockey puck?

The main forces acting on a hockey puck are friction, gravity, and air resistance. Friction is the force that resists the motion of the puck on the ice, while gravity pulls the puck towards the ground. Air resistance is the force that opposes the movement of the puck through the air.

3. How do you measure the forces on a hockey puck?

To measure the forces on a hockey puck, you can use a force plate or a force sensor. These devices can measure the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the puck. Alternatively, you can also use mathematical equations and calculations to estimate the forces based on the puck's mass, velocity, and acceleration.

4. How do the forces on a hockey puck affect its movement?

The forces acting on a hockey puck can affect its movement in various ways. Friction can slow down the puck's movement and change its direction. Gravity can cause the puck to fall towards the ground, while air resistance can slow down the puck's speed. These forces can also interact with each other, resulting in complex movements of the puck.

5. How can analyzing forces on a hockey puck improve gameplay?

Analyzing forces on a hockey puck can provide valuable insights into the physics behind the game. This information can help coaches and players make informed decisions about strategies, equipment, and training. By understanding the forces acting on the puck, players can also learn to control and manipulate the puck more effectively, leading to better overall gameplay.