Accurately measuring noisy DC

In summary, Jason is looking for a solution to accurately measure DC voltage and current in a circuit that generates noisy waveforms. He considers using a high value resistor for voltage measurement and a shunt for current measurement, but is unsure about the best IC to use. He also considers using an RMS to DC converter chip, but is unsure if it can accurately measure the DC component. He seeks advice and resources for this problem. Later, he decides to simplify the setup by only measuring voltage and plans to use a resistor divider and filter cap. He asks for advice on choosing the right resistors for input voltages up to 1000VDC.
Jdo300
Hello All,

The final segment of my test circuit includes the ability to measure DC (constant or noisy and pulsed) voltage and current. I'm trying to come up with an elegant solution that will give me decently accurate measurements. What I have thought of so far is to use a high value resistor to measure the voltage and a shunt to measure current, but I'm not sure what kind of IC to use to accurately get the votlage and current values.

Most of the stuff I play with generates lots of funny waveforms that aren't anywhere near clean so I'm wondering if I whould use an RMS to DC converter chip to integrate all the noisy stuff and then feed that into a DAC. But if I use one of those chips, do they also measure the DC component as well? I've never really delved into this area so I'm not sure what IC or apparach would be best. So far, the best resource I have found is this link here:

http://archive.chipcenter.com/circuitcellar/january00/c10r24.htm

But there are so many options to choose from. Would anyone happen to have some advice for me on this?

Thank you,
Jason O

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok,

I think I've decided to simplify the setup by just making a circuit to measure the voltage alone. For this idea, I am thinking about using a simple resistor divider with a small filter cap in parallel with the input to an ADC to smooth out some of the spikes.

Now my question is about any possible concerns that may come up here. I am designing this circuit to take input voltages up to 1000VDC (very overrated for what I am expecting but adding this for a safety margin). At that voltage, is there anything I need to look out for when choosing the right resistors? I know that I at least need to use a filter cap that will handle 1000V.

Thanks,
Jason O

Hello Jason,

Measuring noisy DC can be a challenge, but there are a few options you can consider. One option is to use a low-pass filter to remove any high-frequency noise before measuring the voltage and current. This can be done using a simple RC filter or a more advanced active filter. Another option is to use a digital multimeter with a high resolution and sampling rate to capture the noisy waveform and then use software or a microcontroller to filter and analyze the data.

For accurate voltage measurements, you can use a high-precision voltage reference and an ADC (analog-to-digital converter) to convert the voltage into a digital value. For current measurements, a current-sense amplifier or a shunt resistor can be used in conjunction with an ADC.

As for the RMS to DC converter chip, it can measure both the AC and DC components of a signal. However, keep in mind that these converters have a limited frequency range and may not be suitable for measuring high-frequency noise.

In terms of ICs, you can look into precision op-amps, ADCs, and current-sense amplifiers from reputable manufacturers like Analog Devices, Texas Instruments, and Maxim Integrated. It's also a good idea to consult with an electronics engineer or do some research to find the best IC for your specific application.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. How is noise defined in the context of DC measurements?

Noise in DC measurements refers to any unwanted or random fluctuations in the measured signal that can interfere with the accuracy of the measurement.

2. What are the common sources of noise in DC measurements?

The most common sources of noise in DC measurements are electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and amplifiers, as well as environmental factors like temperature changes and electromagnetic interference.

3. How can noise be reduced or eliminated in DC measurements?

Noise can be reduced or eliminated by using high-quality components, shielding the measurement setup from external interference, and implementing signal processing techniques such as averaging or filtering.

4. What is the impact of noise on the accuracy of DC measurements?

Noise can significantly affect the accuracy of DC measurements, especially in low-level signals. It can introduce errors and distortions, making it difficult to obtain precise and reliable results.

5. How can the accuracy of DC measurements be improved in the presence of noise?

To improve accuracy in the presence of noise, it is important to carefully select and calibrate measurement equipment, minimize the length of signal cables, and use appropriate signal conditioning techniques to filter out noise and amplify the desired signal.