Solving for Time Gain in Pendulum Clock Covered by Lead Layer

In summary, the pendulum clock willgain a second per year if a 1m thick layer of lead is placed on the floor.
karnten07

Homework Statement

A pendulum clock in the centre of a large room is observed to keep correct time. How many seconds per year will the clock gain if the floor is covered by a 1m thick layer of lead of density 11350kgm^-3 ?

Newtons gravitational constant is G = 6.67 x10^-11 Nm^2 kg^-2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure if its relevant to use but i thought i could use the equation for a pendulum
T = pi(l/g)^1/2

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems this question wants you to work out the new acceleration due to gravity when the lead is added.

Is that the question in full as you've typed it?

Kurdt said:
It seems this question wants you to work out the new acceleration due to gravity when the lead is added.

Is that the question in full as you've typed it?

It is the second part to a question but i didnt think the first part related. The firt part is as follows:

Show that the gravitational field due to a horizontal uniform thin disc (thickness d, radius R and density p ) at a distance h vertically above the centre of the disc has magnitude

2piGpd (1 - (h/(R^2 + h^2)^1/2 )

I was able to do this. But in the second part i don't see that i can use this as it is for a disc and i don't know what shape the room is or how big it is. Can anyone spot something I've missed here?

p.s thanks for the speedy response

Well since the first part is talking about discs, I'd say you would have to make some assumptions about the room in the second part. Namely that the room is circular and that its radius is a lot larger than the pendulum's height from the disc. If you state the assumptions in the solution then that should satisfy whoever is marking it. You can then work out a correction to g, and apply it in the pendulum period formula from the first post.

Kurdt said:
Well since the first part is talking about discs, I'd say you would have to make some assumptions about the room in the second part. Namely that the room is circular and that its radius is a lot larger than the pendulum's height from the disc. If you state the assumptions in the solution then that should satisfy whoever is marking it. You can then work out a correction to g, and apply it in the pendulum period formula from the first post.

excellent idea, thanks

1. How does a lead layer affect the time gain in a pendulum clock?

A lead layer can significantly increase the time gain in a pendulum clock due to its high density and ability to absorb energy. This can cause the pendulum to swing slower, resulting in a longer period and ultimately a slower clock.

2. How do you calculate the time gain in a pendulum clock covered by a lead layer?

The time gain can be calculated by using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period of the pendulum, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The lead layer can then be factored in by considering its weight and density in the calculation.

3. Can the time gain be adjusted in a pendulum clock with a lead layer?

Yes, the time gain can be adjusted by altering the length of the pendulum or by changing the weight and density of the lead layer. This can be done by adding or removing lead, or by using a different material with a different density.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the time gain in a pendulum clock covered by a lead layer?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the time gain such as temperature, air resistance, and friction. These factors can also be taken into consideration when calculating and adjusting the time gain.

5. Is it necessary to have a lead layer in a pendulum clock to achieve accurate timekeeping?

No, a lead layer is not necessary but can be beneficial in certain cases. Pendulum clocks can be accurate without a lead layer as long as the length and weight of the pendulum are carefully calculated and adjusted. Other materials with high density and energy absorption capabilities can also be used instead of lead.