Analytical Classical Dynamics: Newton's Laws

For central forces, the change in angular momentum is equal to zero. The external force does affect the change in linear momentum and is included in the equation as \sumF_{i}.
singular
[SOLVED] Analytical Classical Dynamics: Newton's Laws

Homework Statement

Consider a system of N mutually interacting point objects. Let the ith object have mass mi and position vector ri. Suppose that the jth object exerts a central force fij on the ith. In addition, let the ith object be subject to an external force Fi. Here, i and j take all possible values. Find expressions for the rate of change of the total linear momentum P and the total angular momentum L of the system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In an inertial frame, Newton’s second law of motion applied to the ith object yields
[tex]m_{i}[/tex][tex]\frac{d^{2}r_{i}}{dt^{2}}[/tex]=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]f_{ij}[/tex]+[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]F_{i}[/tex]

I know that the total momentum of the system is written
P=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]m_{i}[/tex][tex]\frac{dr_{i}}{dt}[/tex]

and
[tex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/tex]=f

The total angular momentum of the system is written
L=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]l_{i}[/tex]

yielding
[tex]\frac{dL}{dt}[/tex]=[tex]r_{i}[/tex]x[tex]f_{ij}[/tex]=0

These are for the central force only excluding the equation of motion. What I don't know is how the external force is applied to the change in momentum equations. For a central force, the change in angular momentum equals zero. Does the external force affect its angular momentum? Is the change in linear momentum equation simply the summation of forces on the ith particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:The total linear momentum of the system is given by P=\summ_{i}\frac{dr_{i}}{dt}and the rate of change of the total linear momentum is given by \frac{dP}{dt}=\summ_{i}\frac{d^2r_{i}}{dt^2}+\sumF_{i}The total angular momentum of the system is given by L=\suml_{i}and the rate of change of the total angular momentum is given by \frac{dL}{dt}=\sumr_{i}xf_{ij}+\sumr_{i}xF_{i}

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting upon it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do these laws relate to the concept of force?

Newton's laws of motion describe how forces cause objects to move or change their motion. The first law explains that forces are required to change an object's state of motion. The second law provides a quantitative relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. The third law states that forces always occur in pairs, with equal magnitudes and opposite directions.

3. What is the difference between inertial and non-inertial reference frames in classical dynamics?

An inertial reference frame is a system of coordinates in which Newton's first law holds, and objects at rest will remain at rest or move with constant velocity. A non-inertial reference frame is a system of coordinates that is accelerating, rotating, or experiencing any other form of non-uniform motion. In a non-inertial reference frame, Newton's first law does not hold, and additional fictitious forces must be considered.

4. How are forces and motion related in classical dynamics?

In classical dynamics, forces cause changes in an object's motion. If there is no net force acting on an object, it will maintain its current state of motion. If a net force is applied, the object will accelerate in the direction of the force. The relationship between force and acceleration is described by Newton's second law.

5. How can Newton's laws be applied to real-world situations?

Newton's laws of motion are fundamental principles that can be applied to a wide range of physical phenomena. They are used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems. For example, they can be used to design and analyze the motion of vehicles, predict the orbits of planets, and understand the behavior of fluids and gases.