Electric Field Question: Finding Zero Points for Point Charges

In summary, the electric fields at a point between the charges (along the line joining them) are both positive and negative, but become more negative as you get closer to the (+) charge and more positive as you get closer to the (-) charge.
altegron

Homework Statement

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8125/chapter23number13qh8.png

Homework Equations

[tex] E = {k}_{e} \frac{q} {r^2}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the electric field vector from the negative point charge would have to cancel out the electric field vector from the positive point charge so I said that 0 = E from the negative + E from the positive. I substituted values in and made the distance for the positive one r and the distance for the negative one (1-r). When I solved this for r, I get an answer like 1.03m, but the book says the answer is 1.82m to the left of the negative charge.

Even if I did the math wrong, what I am really wondering about it is the concept here. To me it seems like there should be 4 points where the field is 0. 1. At infinity, which the book mentions. 2. Somewhere far to the left of the negative charge, which I guess is the answer they put in the back. 3. Just slightly to the left of the negative charge. 4. And just slightly right of the negative charge.

My thinking on 3 and 4 is that E will get bigger and bigger as you get closer to the point (r->0, so E goes to infinity, right?). So, E will be large and positive close to the (+) charge, but as you go left to the (-) charge it will decrease to 0, and then become more negative as it reaches the (-) charge. Once it passes this, it will get bigger (from -infinity) until it equalizes with the (+) charge. Then, when you are rather far away it will be 0 again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
altegron said:
3. Just slightly to the left of the negative charge. 4. And just slightly right of the negative charge.

My thinking on 3 and 4 is that E will get bigger and bigger as you get closer to the point (r->0, so E goes to infinity, right?). So, E will be large and positive close to the (+) charge, but as you go left to the (-) charge it will decrease to 0, and then become more negative as it reaches the (-) charge. Once it passes this, it will get bigger (from -infinity) until it equalizes with the (+) charge. Then, when you are rather far away it will be 0 again.

Re 3: How can the field add up to zero, both "far to the left"(not infinity) and "slightly to the left" of the negative charge? Only one can be true.

And as for 4, what are the directions of the electric fields at a point between the charges (along the line joining them)?

neutrino said:
Re 3: How can the field add up to zero, both "far to the left"(not infinity) and "slightly to the left" of the negative charge? Only one can be true.

And as for 4, what are the directions of the electric fields at a point between the charges (along the line joining them)?

Ohhhh I get it now! Thanks for the help!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is represented by a vector that shows the direction and strength of the force.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a source charge, such as an electron or proton. The electric field lines extend outward from a positive charge and inward towards a negative charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In CGS system, it is measured in dynes per statCoulomb (dyn/cm²).

4. How do electric fields interact with each other?

Electric fields can interact with each other in two ways: superposition and shielding. Superposition occurs when two or more electric fields overlap, and the resulting field is the sum of the individual fields. Shielding occurs when an electric field is blocked or weakened by an intervening object.

5. What are some practical applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including generating electricity, providing power to electronic devices, and controlling the movement of charged particles in devices such as particle accelerators. They are also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI and in electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control.