The Chocolate Thread - Valrhona Gourmet Chocolates

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, the Valrhona company makes gourmet chocolate. It has a school devoted to chocolate and professional tasters. It also has cocoa plantations in Madagascar, Trinidad, and Venezuela. There is a chocolate festival in Portland, Maine every year.
CaptainQuasar said:
❊Drowns in drool❊

Those, Evo darling, are voluptuously curved chocolate manifolds produced within the High Energy Chocolate Accelerator facility in Cadbury's secret underwater North Sea base.

That is a better description actually. Do you have to put the question mark in your name EVERYTIME!

Physics news on Phys.org
_Mayday_ said:
Do you have to put the question mark in your name EVERYTIME!

That's just my signature, [post=1620569]see here[/post] for explanation.

I love chocolate!
These are the best Chocolate things to try (if you haven't tried them, you are missing out, so go try them!) : Chocolate Covered Biscotti, Chocolate covered Strawberries, Chocolate Covered Pretzels, Chocolate Ben and Jerry's Icecream, Dark Chocolate and Milk Chocolate in general, and Chocolate Covered Raisans!

Here is a recipe for a dense dark chocolate torte that I make.

Picture of torte from the magazine I cut the recipe out of.

fudgetorteus4.jpg

Hersheys Fudgey Chocolate Torte Ingredients

3/4 c Butter
6 Tbsp Hershey'sCocoa
1 cup sugar, divided
2/3 cup ground blanched almonds
2 Tbsp flour
3 eggs, separated
2 Tbps water
Chocolate Glaze (recipe to follow)

Instructions for Hersheys Fudgey Chocolate Torte

Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in cocoa and 3/4 cup sugar; blend until smooth. Remove from heat; cool 5 min. Blend in almonds and flour. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Stir in water. In medium bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating just until soft peaks form. Gently fold chocolate mixture into egg whites, blending thoroughly. Pour into greased and floured 9" layer pan. Bake at 350 for 30 min. or until tester comes out clean. Cool 10 min. ( Cake will settle slightly.) Remove from pan onto wire rack. Cool completely. Invert cake onto serving plate. Spread top and sides with chocolate glaze. Garnish as desired, Makes 8-10 servings.

Chocolate glaze: Melt 2 Tbs butter in small saucepan over low heat. Add 2 Tbs cocoa and 2 Tbs water; stir constantly until mixture thickens. Do not boil. Remove from heat, add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Gradually add 1 cup 10 X sugar, beating with whisk until smooth.

Hehee think I'll just make the glaze part. and pour it over everything in my kitchen!

Chocolate torte in raspberry glaze/sauce is one of my favorite desserts.

My doctor put me on prescription chocolate for my crankiness:

http://www.healthbychocolate.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to say in something else that chocolate could be considered a mood stabiliser and thus had the potential to be prescribed. Isn't that a lovely thought.

Math Is Hard said:
My doctor put me on prescription chocolate for my crankiness:

http://www.healthbychocolate.com

it's been my substitute for smoking. I'm a dopamine junkie I guess.

Why does sometimes someone like chocolates then sometimes not ?

belliott4488 said:
My deepest sympathies! I've known people with severe allergies to chocolate, but their reaction was head-splitting migraine headaches. I knew a guy who would still endure such headaches once in a while, just to be able to enjoy a little taste.

Might I have an allergy to chocolate? I don't experience any discomfort besides sneezing. There is no rash or swelling or nausea. It's more akin to the experience of smelling pepper and sneezing as a result. Can cocoa cause this?

I'm not the only person that has this reaction.
I enlisted Owen to help make these so you probably won’t want to come share them considering they got coughed on at least 3 times and scooping the cocoa powder into the bowl implemented a sneezing attack from the boy, in the direction of all the ingredients…yum.
http://thicketquicket.com/blog/?cat=16

...i tend to find that the more % cocoa, the more prone to sneezing I am.

Am I maybe somewhat allergic to cocoa? Or is this a common effect of cocoa / dark chocolate? Can anyone shed some light on this terrible situation?
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=296810

Jekertee said:
Why does sometimes someone like chocolates then sometimes not ?

A friend of mine made a New Year's resolution to not eat chocolate for a year. After the year was up she didn't particularly care for it any more. I can't imagine staying away from it would make me not like it any more, but I also can't imagine having the self-discipline to not eat chocolate for a year.

I'm awaiting Evo's fudge recipe now. :biggrin:

When I was a kid, I used to nibble on unsweetened baker's chocolate. I like semi-sweet dark chocolate now - even the cheap Hershey stuff, over pricey boutique chocolate. Most chocolate is just too sweet for me.

Moonbear said:
I'm awaiting Evo's fudge recipe now. :biggrin:
This is the one I made growing up. This will give you a grainy fudge with the crystals that I love.

Hershey's Cocoa Fudge
Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Line 8-or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil.

2. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in heavy 4-quart saucepan; stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full rolling boil. Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 234°F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water, forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.)

3. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room temperature to 110°F (lukewarm). Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss. Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool completely. Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature. About 36 pieces or 1-3/4 pounds.

Whoa! That sounds like the same recipe that my mother used, and if so, it is seriously sweet and rich. I still used to steal her semi-sweet chocolate, though.:rofl:

turbo-1 said:
Whoa! That sounds like the same recipe that my mother used, and if so, it is seriously sweet and rich. I still used to steal her semi-sweet chocolate, though.:rofl:
Yep, this used to be printed on the back of every Hershey's Cocoa can. I add extra cocoa powder because I like a stronger chocolate flavor.

Evo said:
Yep, this used to be printed on the back of every Hershey's Cocoa can. I add extra cocoa powder because I like a stronger chocolate flavor.
That is a rather dry, firm, and potent fudge, and yeah, my mother added extra cocoa too. The cocoa came in rectangular curved tins with curved sides, and dark brown paper labels. The lids had such small lips that you had to open them with a sturdy butter knife, or similar.

Though I preferred semi-sweet chocolate, I'd still chip in when fudge was in the offing. We always had a gas range, and temperature control was important when boiling the fudge. We never used a thermometer, but dropping some molten fudge into a glass of cold water told the story pretty well.

BTW, if you help make the fudge, siblings can't b!tch if you get to clean the pan that it was boiled in.:tongue2:

Amazing! You can't get a word past the forum censors that is uttered over and over again during the Westminster Dog Show on national TV...:confused:

Last edited:
I'll have to try making fudge because I love it and have never tried before. Thanks Evo :smile:

Kurdt said:
I'll have to try making fudge because I love it and have never tried before. Thanks Evo :smile:
This is really good.

Evo said:
This is really good.

I was waiting in live chat for a taste, but you never came back :frown:.

Kurdt said:
You could have swung over for a Molson Golden, but I guess Canadian beers don't make the grade.

turbo-1 said:
You could have swung over for a Molson Golden, but I guess Canadian beers don't make the grade.

Oh I'll try any beer at least once. :smile:

Kurdt said:
I came back, but you were gone. :frown:

Chat went on for an hour longer than usual.

Kurdt said:
Oh I'll try any beer at least once. :smile:
It's not real good, but it's better than US beers and the price pressure keeps it affordable.

Evo said:
I came back, but you were gone. :frown:

Chat went on for an hour longer than usual.

Aww! I did leave earlier than usual to go to the pub.

Turbo-1 said:
It's not real good, but it's better than US beers and the price pressure keeps it affordable.

Well I'll keep an eye out for it and I look forward to trying your awful beer :wink:

Be sure to add chopped pecans into the fudge, the pecans add a wonderful flavor.

My mother used crushed walnuts. They are pungent and more astringent than pecans. Mmmmm!

Evo said:
This is the one I made growing up. This will give you a grainy fudge with the crystals that I love.

Hershey's Cocoa Fudge
Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Line 8-or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil.

2. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in heavy 4-quart saucepan; stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full rolling boil. Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 234°F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water, forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.)

3. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room temperature to 110°F (lukewarm). Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss. Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool completely. Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature. About 36 pieces or 1-3/4 pounds.
I'm stuck on step 3. Do not stir - but then beat it? I guess I need to watch the expert do it. :biggrin:

IIRC (but probably not because it was about 45 years ago), my mom used a similar recipe but she folded in Rice Bubbles (what Aussies call Rice Krispies) and made something like cupcakes in which the Rice Bubbles were bound in nearly solid chocolate (but it was not quite the consistency of chocolate). I remember that it was a wonderful treat. :tongue2:

Can any of our American members explain Hershey's chocolate? I work for a very large American company and sometimes visitors over from the 'States bring it with them. It tastes vaguely like cheap chocolate except if has a vomit tinge to it. I've also noticed that our guests typically love the chocolate sold here once they've tried it...

daveg360 said:
Can any of our American members explain Hershey's chocolate? I work for a very large American company and sometimes visitors over from the 'States bring it with them. It tastes vaguely like cheap chocolate except if has a vomit tinge to it. I've also noticed that our guests typically love the chocolate sold here once they've tried it...
Here is the the history. He was a great philanthroper and a very decent man. Worth reading, although if you kind find the documentary on him, it's better.

http://www.hersheys.com/discover/history/company.asp

For the farm boy who never had much chance at education himself, providing that opportunity for others was always an important priority. As early as 1909, Hershey and his wife Catherine established the Hershey Industrial School, a school for orphan boys. Today named the Milton Hershey School, it has since opened its doors to girls as well. He also made sure that the town of Hershey had the finest elementary and secondary schools possible. There were even plans for a junior college. In 1918 and with no fanfare, Hershey transferred the bulk of his considerable wealth, including his ownership in the Hershey Chocolate Company and other enterprises, to the Hershey Trust to be held for the Hershey Industrial School.

http://www.hersheys.com/discover/milton/milton.asp

The chocolate itself is an American icon. I don't particulary like milk chocolate, but don't mess with my Reese's cups or peanut M&M's.

Wonder what it is about chocolate - the most iconic chocolate in the U.K is probably Cadburys. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cadbury"

I'm not sure that I can forgive Mr Hershey despite his fine acts - his crimes against chocolate may be too great:wink:

The local discount store has scored some good stuff recently. First up is "Purely American" brand chocolate covered roasted peanuts. They are expensive, though they are covered in American-style milk chocolate, but they are worth it. Addictive.

They are also carrying stick-like bars of dark chocolate made by Rausch Privat-Confiserie in Germany. Each bar contains cacao from one plantation. Amacado is 60% cacao from the Amacado plantation in Peru. El Cuador contains 70% cacao from the El Cuador plantation in Equador. Tembadoro contains 80% cacao from the Tembadoro plantation in Trinidad. Each foil-wrapped 1.41 oz bar costs 25 cents - one hell of a steal. We are giving a lot of these chocolates away for Christmas, but I've got one more bar of the super-dark Tembadoro tucked away. Yum!