At the April APS meeting: curing cosmic singularities

In summary, the April meeting of the American Physical Society will include a session on replacing classic GR singularities with a quantized theory. Abhay Ashtekar will discuss this from the Loop side, while Gary Horowitz will discuss the String side. The session will take place on the morning of April 12 and will include talks from other speakers on related topics. Jorge Pullin will also present on recent developments in loop quantum gravity in a separate session the following day. Attendees, including Jim Graber, plan to report on the talks and may discuss the nature of black holes in a new thread.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
One of the sessions at the April meeting of the American Physical Society (APS) will be on what replaces classic GR singularities (like bigbang or black hole) when you move to a quantized theory.

Abhay Ashtekar will discuss this from the Loop side.
Gary Horowitz will discuss the String side of it.

http://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/APR08/SessionIndex2/?SessionEventID=82743

This will be session B7 on the morning of 12 April. Will any PFer be there?

Here's Ashtekar's abstract
By now there are several examples in loop quantum gravity in which effects of quantum geometry became important, dominate the Planck regime and resolve classical singularities. The resulting quantum space-times are typically significantly larger than the original classical space-times. In simple examples, the physics of these quantum extensions has shed considerable light on issues such as the quantum nature of the big-bang and information loss puzzle. I will present a few examples to illustrate this growing area.

The next day Jorge Pullin will speak on
Recent developments in loop quantum gravity.
We review recent developments in loop quantum gravity emphasizing its applications in mini and midi-superspace situations.

That will be session M7, on Sunday afternoon
http://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/APR08/SessionIndex2/?SessionEventID=83486

Ashtekar and Pullin are invited speakers, giving relatively long presentations of 35 minutes. There will probably be a bunch of contributed talks---shorter in duration---on these and related topics, but I have only scanned the list of invited talks.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Hi Marcus,
I am planning to attend this meeting.
I will try to report a brief summary of what Abhay and Gary say.
I will also try to ask them what’s inside of an astronomical sized black hole, if there’s no singularity.
In fact, I think I’ll make that a new thread on “Beyond the Standard Model”.
Jim Graber

1. What is meant by "curing cosmic singularities"?

"Curing cosmic singularities" refers to the concept of finding a way to resolve or eliminate the predicted singularities in the fabric of space-time, such as those found in black holes or the Big Bang theory.

2. Why is it important to study and understand cosmic singularities?

Cosmic singularities are fundamental aspects of the universe and hold important information about its evolution and structure. By studying them, we can gain a deeper understanding of the laws of physics and potentially unlock new insights into the nature of the universe.

3. How do scientists currently approach the issue of cosmic singularities?

Scientists use various mathematical models and theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, to try and explain and predict the behavior of cosmic singularities. They also use advanced technology, such as gravitational wave detectors, to observe and study these phenomena.

4. What challenges do scientists face in attempting to cure cosmic singularities?

One of the main challenges is the lack of a complete theory that can fully explain and reconcile the conflicting predictions of general relativity and quantum mechanics when it comes to cosmic singularities. Additionally, the extreme conditions and vast distances involved in studying these phenomena make it difficult to gather accurate data.

5. Are there any potential solutions or breakthroughs in the works for curing cosmic singularities?

There are ongoing research efforts and theoretical proposals aimed at addressing cosmic singularities, such as the development of a theory of quantum gravity. Some scientists also believe that advancements in technology, such as the ability to create and manipulate miniature black holes, may provide new insights into these mysterious phenomena.