Stokes Law, Viscosity. (very simple)

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the viscosity of glycerol by using an equation that includes radius, density, and acceleration due to gravity. After plugging in values, the resulting equation showed that viscosity decreases as radius decreases, which was initially confusing as viscosity is thought to be a constant. However, it was clarified that viscosity is constant for constant temperature, but the coefficient of drag is dependent on size. Additionally, there was mention of momentum exchange and shear effects.
mr-tom
I'm trying to find the viscosity of some glycerol that we dropped various steel balls down using the equation:

V = [2r^2 (p – σ) g] / 9η

I put in these values:
p = 7800 kg m-3
σ = 1200 kg m-3
g = 9.8 m s-2

And ended up with the equation. η = 129360r^2 / 9V

My problem is that I thought viscosity is a constant. When I put my values in the viscosity decreases as radius decreases.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok thanks, so i must've made a mistake somewhere...

1. What is Stokes Law?

Stokes Law is a scientific formula that describes the relationship between the velocity of a small spherical particle falling through a fluid and the drag force acting on the particle. It was developed by Irish mathematician and physicist George Gabriel Stokes in the 19th century.

2. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is essentially a measure of how thick or sticky a fluid is. This property plays an important role in the movement of particles through a fluid, as described by Stokes Law.

3. How does Stokes Law relate to viscosity?

Stokes Law is directly related to viscosity, as it is based on the assumption that the fluid in which the particle is falling has a constant viscosity. In other words, Stokes Law can be used to calculate the viscosity of a fluid, given the properties of the particle and the fluid.

4. What are the applications of Stokes Law?

Stokes Law has many practical applications in various fields, such as fluid mechanics, environmental science, and pharmaceuticals. It is commonly used to study the behavior of particles in liquids, such as sedimentation, as well as to determine the viscosity of different fluids.

5. Is Stokes Law always accurate?

No, Stokes Law is based on several assumptions and therefore may not always accurately predict the behavior of particles in a fluid. Factors such as turbulence and particle size can affect the accuracy of Stokes Law. It is important to consider these limitations when using this formula in research or practical applications.