What is the Highest pH Salt Solution in a 1 Molar Solution?

• Thread starter Schmidty369
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home Test
In summary, the question is asking for the salt with the highest pH in a 1 molar solution. The options are NaNO3, Na2CO3, NH4CL, NaHSO4, and Na2SO4. The student suggests that it may be NaNO3 because it produces a strong acid, which would lead to more OH in the solution. However, this is incorrect as a strong acid would have a low pH. The correct answer is the salt with the strongest conjugate acid ion, which can be found by comparing the relative strength of all conjugate acid ions. A resource is provided for further understanding of this concept.
Schmidty369
Q: A 1 molar solution of which of the the following salts has the highest pH?
A. NaNO3
B. Na2CO3
C. NH4CL
D. NaHSO4
E. Na2SO4

I think its a because NO3 would make a strong acid making more OH but I am coufused totaly on how to find pH of salts

Physics news on Phys.org
Highest pH, or lowest pH? Do you mean which is the strongest acid, or which is the weakest?

highest pH

Schmidty369 said:
Q: A 1 molar solution of which of the the following salts has the highest pH?
A. NaNO3
B. Na2CO3
C. NH4CL
D. NaHSO4
E. Na2SO4

I think its a because NO3 would make a strong acid making more OH but I am coufused totaly on how to find pH of salts

A strong acid has a low pH; for example HCl is around pH of 2. A high pH would indicate a base. A strong acid would not have more OH, so your wording is confusing.

which one of them is the strongest base?!

A strong base has weak conjugate acid ion.

Compare the relative strength of all the conjugate acid ions

Think along this line

Kelvin

this might be useful, although I'm sure you have something similar in your own textbook

http://spiepho.sbc.edu/worksheets/Gen_Chem_2/Chp15,pH_Salt_Solutions.doc

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a take home test?

A take home test is an assessment given to students that is meant to be completed outside of the classroom. It is usually given with a specific deadline and may require the use of resources such as textbooks or the internet.

How do I prepare for a take home test?

To prepare for a take home test, it is important to review the material covered in class and make sure you understand the concepts. It may also be helpful to create a study guide or review notes to refer to while completing the test.

Can I collaborate with others on a take home test?

It depends on the instructions given by the teacher. Some take home tests may allow collaboration while others may require individual work. It is important to follow the instructions given to avoid any potential academic dishonesty.

How much time should I spend on a take home test?

The amount of time you should spend on a take home test will vary depending on the length and complexity of the test. It is important to carefully read the instructions and plan your time accordingly. It is also recommended to leave some extra time for review and potential technical issues.

What should I do if I need help with a take home test?

If you are struggling with a take home test, you can reach out to your teacher for clarification or assistance. You can also ask your classmates for help, but make sure to not share answers or collaborate in a way that goes against the instructions.