Drawing Vector in Positive Z Direction: Quick Answer

In summary, the conversation discusses how to draw a vector traveling in the positive z direction. The solution is to use a circle with a dot inside for the positive direction and a circle with an x in it for the negative direction. The conversation also suggests using personal notation if preferred. The question of how to draw the components of a dot is raised, and it is explained that a force vector with a non-zero z-component would need to be split up and drawn separately. A resource for understanding vector components is also provided.
ace123
How would one draw a vector traveling in the positive z direction? Would it be a line comming out at you?

So this is just a very basic question but I do not know how to do it so can someone just give me a quick answer if you can or point me in the right direction because my book only discusses th x and y plane.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my physics class we used a circle with a dot inside for a vector in the positive z direction, and a circle with an x in it for the negative z direction. Unless your teacher has a preference, you should feel free to make up your own notation! Don't let the notation Nazi's oppress you! LOL

gendou2 said:
In my physics class we used a circle with a dot inside for a vector in the positive z direction, and a circle with an x in it for the negative z direction. Unless your teacher has a preference, you should feel free to make up your own notation! Don't let the notation Nazi's oppress you! LOL

A dot? How would you do the components of a dot?

ace123 said:
A dot? How would you do the components of a dot?

A force vector that has a non-zero z-component would have to be split up so that the z-component is drawn separately. Granted, this is an undesirable situation that is best avoided where possible.

I can't avoid it so how would i split it up and draw it seperately

This website explains vector components quite well:

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/vectors/u3l1d.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a vector in positive Z direction?

A vector in positive Z direction refers to the direction of an object or point in three-dimensional space. It points upwards along the Z-axis, which is perpendicular to both the X-axis and Y-axis.

2. How is positive Z direction represented in vector drawing?

In vector drawing, positive Z direction is typically represented by an arrow pointing upwards along the Z-axis. This indicates the direction in which the object or point is moving or facing.

3. What is the importance of drawing in positive Z direction?

Drawing in positive Z direction is important in 3D design and animation because it helps to create a sense of depth and perspective in the final product. It also allows for more realistic and accurate representations of objects in space.

4. Can a vector in positive Z direction have a negative value?

No, a vector in positive Z direction can only have a positive value as it represents a direction that is moving or facing upwards along the Z-axis. However, the magnitude or length of the vector can vary.

5. How can I draw a vector in positive Z direction in a software program?

In most software programs, you can draw a vector in positive Z direction by selecting the Z-axis and using the drawing tools to create an arrow pointing upwards. You can also use the transform or rotation tools to adjust the angle and position of the vector as needed.