Gravitation (Preliminary Reference Earth Model)

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the equation for gravity as a function of radius, assuming knowledge of Earth's density as a function of radius. The conversation also mentions using the density \rho(r) and integrating the sum of several hollow spheres with thickness dr to find the equation. The conversation ends with a request for help on an associated problem.
ceomtcl

Homework Statement

Assuming that we know the density of Earth as a function of radius, we have to derive the equation for gravity as the function of radius.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

lets us choose density as [tex]\rho[/tex](r).
I know that within a hollow sphere there is no gravity.
We can assume sum of several hollow spheres with thickness dr, where r is the radius of the shell from center, and then we can integrate it.
I know its an easy question we used to do in undergraduate study, but I am missing something and i can't figure out how it was done? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what is the volume of a hollow sphere, radius=r, thickness=dr?

Given the volume and density, what would be it's mass?

Thanks Redbelly98!

I did this problem. However I am having another problem in an associated problem with this question. I am working it out, however if I get stuck then i would ask you to help me.

Thanks once again!

1. What is the Preliminary Reference Earth Model (PREM)?

The Preliminary Reference Earth Model (PREM) is a model of the Earth's interior structure, specifically its density and seismic velocities. It is based on seismic data and is widely used by geophysicists to study the Earth's interior.

2. What is the importance of PREM in studying gravitation?

PREM is important in studying gravitation because it provides a baseline model of the Earth's interior, which is crucial in understanding the distribution of mass and density that affect gravitation. It also allows scientists to make comparisons between the Earth and other planets.

3. How was PREM created?

PREM was created by combining seismic data from various sources, such as earthquake studies and seismic tomography, with the principles of physics and geophysics. The data was then used to create a model of the Earth's interior, which was refined over time through additional observations and studies.

4. What are the major layers of the Earth's interior in PREM?

The major layers of the Earth's interior in PREM are the crust, mantle, outer core, and inner core. The crust is the outermost layer and is the thinnest layer of the Earth. The mantle is the thickest layer and is divided into the upper and lower mantle. The outer core is a liquid layer, while the inner core is solid.

5. How does PREM help in understanding the Earth's gravitational field?

By providing a detailed model of the Earth's interior, PREM helps scientists understand how the distribution of mass and density within the Earth affects its gravitational field. This information is crucial in studying phenomena such as plate tectonics, the Earth's rotation, and the Earth's magnetic field.