How much of what you know gets used?

• Thread starter dimensionless
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that much of the knowledge and expertise acquired in academic settings goes unused in the workplace. It is mentioned that this is true for both the speaker and a PhD they work with, although the PhD likely earns more money. The conversation then delves into the idea of how much analytical skills are used versus simple memorization in the education system. The speaker argues that understanding and application are more important than memorization, but also notes that this may not be the case in all programs. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of practical application and critical thinking in education.
dimensionless
I have a decent size reservoir of academic knowledge. I have a lot of expertise that goes unused at my job. If I changed jobs (the number of times of which is something I'm trying to minimize), I could probably use more of what I know.

That being said, there's this PhD that I work under. I have a broad idea of what he knows, and a general idea of what he does at his job. I'm nearly certain that much of what he knows also goes unused, although his job relates more strongly to his area of expertise...so he seems to be in the same boat as me, although he probably makes much much more that me, which would be a good perk.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean "how many facts do I use", not many. If you mean "how much of the analytic skills that were developed in school do I use", rather a lot.

Put me down for what Vanadium 50 said.

ditto

So why is it that the educational system teaches nothing but memorizing facts?

Hmoob said:

have you taken a calc class?
say proofs for example...
sure, you can memorize them, but if you fail to understand them, you miss the whole point.

or a programming class,
sure you can memorize syntax, but if you can't apply it to solve problems, your not programming.

Hmoob said:

That's only true if you go to a crappy school. A good program will expect you to synthesize your knowledge.

Hmoob said:
I can't think of any college degree program for which this is true. Certainly it may hold for high school and below, but no where else.

Hmoob said:

That may certainly seem to be the case with many classes. OTOH, as a student, you are, by definition, supposed to be learning a body of knowledge. It's not realistic to claim mastery of a subject without knowing the factual basis of the subject.

What is the purpose of studying and gaining knowledge as a scientist?

The purpose of studying and gaining knowledge as a scientist is to contribute to the collective understanding of the world and to make advancements in various fields, such as medicine, technology, and environmental science.

How much of what you learn as a scientist actually gets used in your work?

As a scientist, a significant portion of what I learn gets used in my work. This includes theories, concepts, and methods from various scientific disciplines, as well as my own research findings and experiments.

What factors determine which knowledge and skills are most useful in your work?

The factors that determine which knowledge and skills are most useful in my work as a scientist include the specific field of study, the current research trends and advancements, the availability of resources and technology, and the nature of the research question or problem being addressed.

How do you stay updated on the latest developments and discoveries in your field?

I stay updated on the latest developments and discoveries in my field through various means, such as attending conferences and seminars, reading scientific journals and publications, collaborating with other scientists, and networking with colleagues.

How do you balance using existing knowledge and creating new knowledge in your work?

As a scientist, I strive to balance using existing knowledge and creating new knowledge in my work by building upon established theories and methods while also exploring new ideas and approaches. This allows for both innovation and progress in the field while also ensuring the validity and reliability of my research.