Cardboard Boat: Calculating Buoyant Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics class project in which the students must build a cardboard boat that can hold two people and float across a pool. The question is how to determine if the boat will sink or not, with the guidance of the teacher mentioning buoyant forces. The solution is to calculate the volume of the boat below the water line and add the weight of the boat and people, then make sure the sides are higher than the water line. Tips for the design include making it waterproof, avoiding icebergs, and wearing lifejackets.
chrozer
Ok so I'm in a Physics class and there is going to be a Cardboard Boat Race competition. So I have to build a boat out of cardboard for two people to fit in and it be able to float across a length's pool. I just want to know how you would find out if a boat that I build out of cardboard would float with 2 people in it. My teacher hasn't taught us anything about these kinds of physics concepts, but she said it has something to do about buoyant forces.

So my question is how do I determine if the boat will sink or not? Instructions on what I should do? Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
A boat floats when the weight of water it displaces is greater than the weight of the boat.
So you simply work out the volume of the boat below the water line (simpler if it is a simple shape!) multiply by the density of water (fresh water weighs 1000kg for each m^3)
Then add up the total weigth of the boat + the two people.

The simple way is to make a rectangular boat and calculate the area of the bottom, if you know the weight of the boat+people you can work out how much volume of water you need to displace and so work out how far up the sides the water will come - then you make the sides higher than that!

Any design ideas or tips?

Make it waterproof, avoid icebergs, wear lifejackets

1. What is a cardboard boat?

A cardboard boat is a type of boat that is made entirely out of cardboard. It is a popular STEM project and can be used for competitions or recreational activities.

2. How do you calculate the buoyant force of a cardboard boat?

To calculate the buoyant force of a cardboard boat, you will need to know the density of water, the volume of the boat, and the weight of the boat. Then, you can use the formula: Buoyant Force = Density of Water x Volume of Boat x Acceleration Due to Gravity.

3. What makes a cardboard boat float?

A cardboard boat floats because of the principle of buoyancy. The boat's weight is less than the water it displaces, causing it to float. This is due to the air pockets in the cardboard, which reduces the overall density of the boat.

4. How can you improve the buoyancy of a cardboard boat?

To improve the buoyancy of a cardboard boat, you can add more air pockets or increase the volume of the boat. You can also use waterproofing materials to prevent the cardboard from getting soggy and sinking.

5. What are some challenges of building a cardboard boat?

Some challenges of building a cardboard boat include choosing the right design, ensuring the boat is waterproof, and making sure it is strong enough to hold weight without sinking. Additionally, it can be challenging to accurately calculate the buoyant force and ensure the boat will float successfully.