How much of an impact does your lower division grades have on jobs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the academic performance and future goals of a second semester sophomore majoring in Computer Engineering. The individual has had a mix of grades, including some dropped classes and lower grades due to a hospitalization. They are planning to retake a math class and have a current cumulative GPA of 2.7. The individual is also interested in working for the Air Force or companies like Lockheed, nVidia, or Intel after graduation. The speaker suggests that the selection and depth of courses are more important than GPA and that taking a variety of courses can be beneficial.
sharkshockey
I'm a second semester sophomore right now majoring in Computer Engineering and things aren't looking bright for me.

First semester, freshmen year, I got a 3.3 with one dropped class, chemistry.
Second semester, freshmen year, I got a 2.8 with one dropped class, Calc 2.

Both dropped classes have been made up.

First semester, sophomore year, I got a 2.16, with no dropped classes, however I got a D in math which is a 4 unit class and a C in E+M, which is also a 4 unit class. I was hospitalized for about a week and missed a lot of material, so I was playing catch up from there on out. I'm going to try and see if I can retake math and replace the grade.

That leaves me at a 2.7 cumulative GPA as of now. I haven't taken any major classes yet. I'm planning on working on campus this upcoming summer, then the summer between my junior and senior year is getting an internship, hopefully.

I want to work for either the Air Force after graduation or Lockheed, nVidia, Intel. How would this affect my chances of pursuing said goals? Also in a hypothetical situation if I were to receive nothing less than a B in each class until graduation, how would that alter the affect on my situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a limited viewpoint - but, G.P.A. is not really as important as the selection of courses you studied, the depth of some groups of courses which you study, and what you know how to do.

EDIT: "variety of courses" instead of just "selection of courses". The idea is that someone should not take too limited a selection of course, that some variety is helpful.

Last edited:

I understand the importance of grades and their impact on future opportunities. However, I want to reassure you that grades are not the only factor that employers consider when hiring. While your lower division grades may have some impact on your job prospects, they are not the sole determining factor.

Employers also look at other aspects of your application such as internships, relevant experience, skills, and personal qualities. These can all make a significant difference in your chances of securing a job, even with lower division grades.

In terms of your specific situation, it is understandable that you may be concerned about your GPA. However, it seems like you have valid reasons for your lower grades and have taken steps to improve them. This shows resilience and determination, which are qualities that employers value.

If you were to consistently receive B grades or higher until graduation, it would certainly improve your chances of pursuing your goals. However, it is important to also focus on gaining relevant experience and developing your skills in your field of study.

In conclusion, while your lower division grades may have some impact on your job prospects, it is not the only factor that employers consider. Focus on your overall academic performance, gain relevant experience, and continue to work towards your goals. With dedication and hard work, you can still achieve success in your chosen field.

1. What is considered a "lower division" grade?

Lower division grades typically refer to the grades earned in the first two years of undergraduate study, often for general education courses and introductory courses in a specific major.

2. How much weight do employers place on lower division grades?

The weight placed on lower division grades by employers can vary depending on the specific job and industry. However, in general, lower division grades may not carry as much weight as upper division grades or relevant work experience.

3. Can a low lower division GPA negatively impact my job prospects?

A low lower division GPA may not necessarily negatively impact job prospects, especially if you have a strong upper division GPA or relevant experience. However, some employers may look at lower division grades as an indicator of your overall academic performance and work ethic.

4. How can I improve my lower division grades to make a better impression on employers?

There are a few ways to improve your lower division grades, such as seeking help from tutors or professors, developing better study habits, and retaking courses if possible. Additionally, gaining relevant work experience and building a strong portfolio can also help offset lower division grades.

5. Do employers only look at GPA, or do they also consider individual grades?

Employers may consider both GPA and individual grades when evaluating a candidate's academic performance. However, in most cases, they are more interested in seeing a consistent overall performance rather than focusing on individual grades from specific courses.