Calculating Distance to Cefeide Star w/ Stellar Extinction

In summary, the problem at hand involves calculating the distance to a cefeide star using its visual magnitude, magnitude in B range, and period. Ignoring extinction, the distance can be determined using a formula that includes the visual magnitude extinction. Color index is also taken into account, and the ratio of visual magnitude extinction to color excess is used to calculate the absolute magnitude in B range, which is necessary for determining extinction and ultimately the distance. The concept of extinction is explained as the loss of light due to various factors, such as interstellar or atmospheric dust.
Sux
Hi! In this problem I have to calculate the distance to a cefeide star, I know visual magnitude, [tex]m_{v}[/tex], his magnitude in B range, [tex]m_{b}[/tex] and its period, [tex]P[/tex].

Well, if I ignore extinction, I can calculate the distance with [tex]M_{V}[/tex]:

[tex]m_{v}=M_{V}+5log(\frac{r}{10})+A_{v}[/tex]

Where [tex]A{v}[/tex] is visual magnitude extinction.

As I know color index:

[tex]m_{b}-m_{v}=M_{B}-M_{V}+E_{B-V}[/tex]

Where: [tex]E_{B-V}[/tex] is color excess.

And:

[tex]\frac{A_{V}}{E_{B-V}}\approx3[/tex]I just need to calculate absolute magnitude in B range, [tex]M_{B}[/tex], to calculate extinction and be able to calculate the distance.

Any ideas about how could I do it?

I apologize for my mistakes, I am still learning English.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Your English is quite good, although I don't understand what you mean by "extinction" (it means something specific in English--it's what happened to the dinosaurs). If you define it clearly, I can probably give you the correct word.

Stellar extinction has to do with the loss of light due to gas/dust in the path to the observer --atmospheric extinction due to volcanic dust, extinction due to dust around a star, for example.

It must be corrected for to determine the intrinsic brightness of a star.

Neil

Yes, stellar "extinction" is the loss of flux or brightness due to interstellar dust.

Here you have it: http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Mathis/Mathis1.html"

Thanks for the answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you calculate the distance to a Cepheid star with stellar extinction?

To calculate the distance to a Cepheid star with stellar extinction, you will need to use the period-luminosity relationship for Cepheid stars. This relationship allows you to determine the intrinsic brightness of the star based on its period of variability. Then, by comparing the intrinsic brightness to the observed brightness, you can calculate the distance using the inverse square law. Additionally, you will need to account for any extinction caused by interstellar dust along the line of sight to the star.

2. What is the period-luminosity relationship for Cepheid stars?

The period-luminosity relationship for Cepheid stars is a correlation between the period of variability of the star and its intrinsic brightness. This relationship was first discovered by Henrietta Swan Leavitt in 1912 and has since been used as a standard candle for measuring distances in the universe. Generally, the longer the period of variability, the more luminous the star.

3. How does interstellar dust affect the observed brightness of a Cepheid star?

Interstellar dust can cause extinction, which is the absorption and scattering of light as it travels through space. This can make a star appear dimmer than it actually is, which can affect the calculation of its distance. In order to accurately calculate the distance to a Cepheid star, the effects of interstellar dust must be taken into account.

4. Can stellar extinction be corrected for?

Yes, stellar extinction can be corrected for by using the appropriate extinction correction formula. This formula takes into account the distance to the star, the amount of interstellar dust along the line of sight, and the wavelength of light being observed. By applying this correction, the observed brightness can be adjusted to match the intrinsic brightness, allowing for a more accurate distance calculation.

5. What are the limitations of using Cepheid stars to measure distances?

While Cepheid stars are a useful tool for measuring distances in the universe, they do have some limitations. For example, the period-luminosity relationship is not exact and can vary slightly from star to star. Additionally, Cepheid stars may be affected by other factors such as pulsation mode and metallicity, which can also impact their intrinsic brightness. Therefore, it is important to carefully calibrate and consider these factors when using Cepheid stars to calculate distances.