Does Saturn Have a Hexagon on it?

In summary, the video is of a hexagon that appears to be oscillating, and it is only strange if you ignore the context in which it occurs (i.e. centred on the pole). The hexagon is real, but the stuff about platonic solids is nonsense.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Glennage said:
As the title says, just seen this Video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzL194jiTyY&feature=player_embedded#t=107

Is that real??

It is real.

But it only looks like a hexagon. And it is only weird if you ignore the context in which it occurs (i.e. centred on the pole) In fact, it's simply a oscillatory wave in polar coordinates.

If you set up a standing wave in a circular swimming pool (say, by jumping up and down at just the right speed), you will get waves that form a similar symmetrical pattern. Speed up and the waves get smaller, forming a finer pattern.

Likewise on Saturn. If the winds sped up, you'd start seeing a standing wave with 7 crests or 8 or 9 (though I'm not sure if odd numbers are stable). The winds slow down and you see a standing wave with 5 or 4 crests.

Last edited:
Thank you Dave :)

I also seen this answer:

"hexagons are one of the five basic forms that matter can fall into called platonic solids; spin and electrify plasma to create standing waves like on Saturn and typically one finds hexagons showing as you look down on the top of a dodecahedron at that energy level. look at the center of hurricanes, same thing" ??

The hexagon is real. The stuff about platonic solids is nonsense. There are five platonic solids: tetrahedrons, cubes, octahedrons, dodecahedrons, and icosahedrons.

Here's an article at NASA: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/cassini-20070327.html

YouTube is, in general, a terrible place to obtain any kind of intelligent information. Yes , there are exceptions, but there is a lot of garbage there.

See attached diagram. All I did was take a sine wave with six peaks and convert it to polar coordinates.

Attachments

• PF20090919_polarsinewave.gif
    PF20090919_polarsinewave.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 564
I just listened to the video. Oh my God. I weep for the future.

LOL - yeah, I ain't listened to the Video, but from the responses I can see there talking about aliens maybe? Worlds gone mad...

Jesus, someone posted this (P.S - sorry for double post)

[crackpottery deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand you are just posting some crackpot nonsense you saw elsewhere, but even still, just having it here lowers the quality of our forum. Also, formatting the quotes properly will help avoid confusion about which words are yours... :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
See attached diagram. All I did was take a sine wave with six peaks and convert it to polar coordinates.

Nice demonstration, Dave!

I saw the show, did a quick search, and landed here. Good job!

1. What is the hexagon on Saturn?

The hexagon on Saturn is a unique weather pattern that appears on the planet's north pole. It is a six-sided jet stream that creates a distinct hexagonal shape.

2. How big is the hexagon on Saturn?

The hexagon on Saturn is about 20,000 miles (32,000 kilometers) across and has sides that are approximately 1,250 miles (2,000 kilometers) long.

3. What causes the hexagon on Saturn?

The exact cause of the hexagon on Saturn is still unknown, but scientists believe it is formed by a combination of atmospheric conditions and Saturn's rotation. The jet stream creates a circular motion that is shaped into a hexagon due to the planet's rotation.

4. Is the hexagon on Saturn permanent?

The hexagon on Saturn has been observed for over 30 years, suggesting that it is a long-lasting feature on the planet. However, scientists have also noticed changes in its shape and size over time, so it is not entirely permanent.

5. Can we see the hexagon on Saturn from Earth?

Yes, the hexagon on Saturn can be seen from Earth with the help of a telescope. However, it may be difficult to observe due to the planet's distance and atmospheric conditions.