Solving: Showing Sequence Converges to a Single Point

• Thread starter ak123456
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses a sequence of intervals and a condition that the sequence must satisfy. It also introduces the concept of a number c and its relationship to the intervals in the sequence. The goal is to prove that there is exactly one point a that belongs to all the intervals in the sequence.
ak123456
1. Homework Statement [/b]
Let Jn : n [tex]\in[/tex]N be a sequence of intervals Jn=[tex]\left[[/tex]an,bn[tex]\right][/tex] such that J1[tex]\supset[/tex]J2[tex]\supset[/tex]...[tex]\supset[/tex]Jn[tex]\supset[/tex]Jn+1[tex]\supset[/tex]...
suppose also that the sequence xn=an-bn converges to 0 as n tends to infinite.Show that there is exactly one point a such that a[tex]\in[/tex]Jn for all n [tex]\in[/tex]N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know how to start it , any clue??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm dreadfully awful at sequence questions, so take my feedback with a grain of salt. Since the sequence [itex]x_n = b_n - a_n[/itex] converges to zero for arbitrarily large [itex]n[/itex], this means that [itex]\mathrm{inf}(b_n) = \mathrm{sup}(a_n) = c[/itex]. Can you prove that this number [itex]c[/itex] must always be an element of [itex][a_n,b_n][/itex].

jgens said:
Well, I'm dreadfully awful at sequence questions, so take my feedback with a grain of salt. Since the sequence [itex]x_n = b_n - a_n[/itex] converges to zero for arbitrarily large [itex]n[/itex], this means that [itex]\mathrm{inf}(b_n) = \mathrm{sup}(a_n) = c[/itex]. Can you prove that this number [itex]c[/itex] must always be an element of [itex][a_n,b_n][/itex].

still confusing

The number [itex]c[/itex] would have the property that [itex]a_n \leq c \leq b_n[/itex] for all natural numbers [itex]n[/itex]. What does this tell you about [itex]c[/itex] and its relationship to the interval [itex][a_n,b_n][/itex]?

Again, I'm awful at these types of proofs, so if another member says something otherwise, I would follow their feedback (I'm just trying making sure that you actually have some feedback).

1. What is the definition of sequence convergence?

Sequence convergence refers to the behavior of a sequence of numbers as it approaches a specific value or point. This means that as the sequence progresses, the numbers get closer and closer to a single point and eventually reach it.

2. How is convergence of a sequence proven?

The convergence of a sequence is proven by showing that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to the desired point as the sequence progresses. This can be done by using various mathematical techniques, such as the epsilon-delta definition or the monotone convergence theorem.

3. What is the importance of proving sequence convergence?

Proving sequence convergence is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a sequence and make predictions about its future values. It also helps us to better understand the properties and limits of different types of sequences.

4. What are some common methods for showing sequence convergence?

Some common methods for showing sequence convergence include the squeeze theorem, the Cauchy criterion, and the ratio test. These methods involve using specific criteria and mathematical techniques to prove that a sequence converges to a single point.

5. Are there any real-world applications of sequence convergence?

Yes, sequence convergence has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of engineering and physics. For example, it is used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits and to model the movement of objects in motion. It is also used in finance to predict future stock prices and in computer science to improve the efficiency of algorithms.