Radial Molecular Weight Distribution X Vortex

In summary: However, the concept of using a Ranque-Hilsch vortex for separation is practical and has been studied for many years.
deltan
Chemical Separation Using Ranque-Hilsch Vortex

The full title for the post should be "Can molecules be separated in solution using a Ranque-Hilsch vortex?"

I am a chemist, and my conventions re: aerosols/liquids may be wrong. My interest is in a system that might enrich a soluble analyte in a great excess of solvent (99.8+%).

I am aware of the gas centrifuge idea, I need some practical advice, my system would be on the order of microliters liquid/sec.

I was years ago fascinated by the MW separation characteristics of the Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube. Is this concept at all practical?

Please let me know if you have ideas about this topic.--Thanks very much, CS

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible to separate molecules in solution using a Ranque-Hilsch vortex. This type of separation relies on the difference in the thermal properties of the molecules being separated. The molecules will follow different paths depending on their thermal properties and will be separated in the process. This type of separation can be used to separate gases, aerosols, and liquids. The system you are proposing should be able to handle microliters of liquid per second, but it may depend on the complexity of the separations you are trying to achieve.

1. What is radial molecular weight distribution?

Radial molecular weight distribution refers to the variation in molecular weights of a substance within a given volume or space. In other words, it describes the distribution of molecular weights at different distances from a central point.

2. What is a vortex in relation to molecular weight distribution?

A vortex is a circular flow pattern that can occur in liquids or gases. In the context of molecular weight distribution, it refers to the swirling motion of molecules within a substance that can affect the distribution of molecular weights.

3. How does molecular weight distribution impact a substance's properties?

Molecular weight distribution can greatly influence a substance's properties, such as its strength, density, and chemical reactivity. A narrow distribution of molecular weights typically results in more consistent and predictable properties, while a broad distribution can lead to more varied and unpredictable properties.

4. How is radial molecular weight distribution x vortex measured?

Radial molecular weight distribution x vortex is typically measured using techniques such as size exclusion chromatography or mass spectrometry. These methods allow for the separation and analysis of molecules based on their molecular weights and can provide information about their distribution within a substance.

5. What factors can affect radial molecular weight distribution x vortex?

Radial molecular weight distribution x vortex can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of substance, the method of preparation, and external conditions such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, the presence of additives or impurities can also impact the distribution of molecular weights within a substance.