Most popular (best?) Feynman lectures.

In summary, "The Feynman lectures" usually refers to "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" which are a popular and highly regarded set of lectures by Richard Feynman. There are other lectures by Feynman, such as the Messenger Lectures and QED, but "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" are the ones most commonly referred to. These lectures are currently out of print, causing excitement among those who are able to find a copy.
Oddbio
Gold Member
I hear a lot about "the feynman lectures", but is there any set of lectures that most people have in mind when they hear "the Feynman Lectures"? Or does that phrase really not point to a specific set of really good/popular lectures?

I'm trying to find some to watch, but it seems like there are just so many, I was under the impression that it was like one video. Well let me know what you all think about that, or recommend me a good series or something.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
this, right here is why I am hanging out here now. I thought they were referring to his messenger lectures. The only other lecture of his I knew about was QED. Now, thanks to that link, I just found a copy here in town, and I'm going to pick it up. I know what I'm doing over the holidays :)

What's sad is how excited I just got over getting these lectures. Just went to B&N and I was literally giddy. According to the lady there, it is now out of print, and I got the last copy in the area. I don't know if I believe that though, since it says "Temporarily out of stock" on amazon, and I really REALLY hope they wouldn't let these go out of print - even though I just heard about them 30 minutes ago

1. What makes Richard Feynman's lectures so popular and highly regarded?

Richard Feynman was a brilliant physicist and educator who had a unique ability to explain complex concepts in a simple and engaging manner. His lectures were known for their clarity, enthusiasm, and humor, making them enjoyable and easy to understand for students and non-scientists alike.

2. Are Feynman's lectures suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, Feynman's lectures are suitable for beginners in physics. His lectures start with basic concepts and build upon them, making them accessible to anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics.

3. Can Feynman's lectures be used as a substitute for a textbook?

No, Feynman's lectures are not meant to be a substitute for a textbook. They are meant to supplement and enhance the learning experience, providing a different perspective and intuitive understanding of the material.

4. Are Feynman's lectures still relevant today?

Yes, Feynman's lectures are still relevant today. While some of the specific examples and technologies may have changed, the fundamental concepts and principles he discusses are still applicable in modern physics.

5. What topics are covered in Feynman's lectures?

Feynman's lectures cover a wide range of topics in physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. He also delves into more advanced topics such as relativity and quantum field theory.