How much Academic Knowledge is used in industry?

In summary, it is ok to try to learn everything now in as much detail as possible, but don't be discouraged if you can't find a job using this knowledge. You will still be successful.
thE3nigma
Hello everyone, and happy holidays.

I had a question that recently popped into my head as I am in my last three semesters of my undergraduate university. Some background, I am thinking of applying for a professional Masters degree (2 yrs long) before finding work in industry.

But I was wondering, how much of the information (not the tools or techniques in lab/calculations), but the actual knowledge of science (ex. how we take courses that focus on certain aspects of cell biology) will be important and used in industry. I have heard from quite a few people that most of the time, when your given projects you will have to do background research and some of the information we study in school is not that important in a real life scenario other than for students in traditional Masters/PhD.

So my question basically is if I should try to learn everything now in as much detail as possible or only what I am given to study? I know it may be a weird question, but I thought we could discuss it.

Again Happy Holidays everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
The likelihood of you using the specific knowledge you learn in grad school in the job market is very small. This is just the nature of grad school. You are supposed to learn one topic in detail. This is even more true of PhD than Master's level work. The odds of you being hired to do that specific topic are small.

However, this should not stop you from trying to learn as much as possible about your chosen topic. Why is this? I think that http://www.av8n.com/physics/breadth-depth.htm" has done a better job than me of explaining why, so I think you should read what he has to say. If you do not, I will summarize.

Developing technical depth is a great benefit. Depth in anyone subject can be helpful in understanding other technical fields. If you do not develop this early, it is harder to do later. However, you also need to spend time in college becoming well-educated. This is important in enabling you to develop technical skills in other areas, as well as becoming successful in life.

Spend time becoming an expert, but don't be upset when you can't find a job in that area. It will still be useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben Espen said:
Developing technical depth is a great benefit. Depth in anyone subject can be helpful in understanding other technical fields. If you do not develop this early, it is harder to do later. However, you also need to spend time in college becoming well-educated. This is important in enabling you to develop technical skills in other areas, as well as becoming successful in life.

Spend time becoming an expert, but don't be upset when you can't find a job in that area. It will still be useful.

I read the article, and like you summarized he does mention that it would be hard; because the student wold not have the previous experience as to how to approach in depth studies. I guess this does connect back to my original post, where it seems that technical skills in how to research background information and in-depth information are more important in the applied industry.

Although, I agree that any field can be in some way beneficial to other fields. Even if it is just the thinking process a person develops from one course (ie. Organic Chemistry or Physics).

What is academic knowledge and how is it different from industry knowledge?

Academic knowledge refers to the theories, concepts, and principles learned in a formal educational setting, such as universities and research institutions. It is often more theoretical and focuses on developing a deep understanding of a subject. Industry knowledge, on the other hand, is the practical application of this knowledge in a specific field or industry. It involves using academic knowledge to solve real-world problems and achieve specific goals.

How does industry utilize academic knowledge?

Industry utilizes academic knowledge in various ways, such as developing new products and technologies, improving existing processes, and solving complex problems. Companies often hire individuals with strong academic backgrounds to bring in fresh perspectives and innovative ideas to their projects. Additionally, industry professionals may attend conferences and workshops to learn about the latest academic research and apply it to their work.

What are the benefits of incorporating academic knowledge in industry?

Incorporating academic knowledge in industry can lead to increased innovation, efficiency, and competitiveness. It can also help companies stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in their field and adapt to changing trends and technologies. Furthermore, using academic knowledge can lead to the development of new and improved products and services, ultimately leading to business growth and success.

Are there any challenges in using academic knowledge in industry?

One challenge in using academic knowledge in industry is the gap between research and practical application. Academic research can often be complex and may not have immediate practical applications. This requires companies to invest time and resources in translating and adapting academic knowledge to their specific needs. There may also be a lack of communication and collaboration between academia and industry, making it difficult for companies to access relevant academic knowledge.

How can individuals with academic backgrounds succeed in industry?

Individuals with academic backgrounds can succeed in industry by developing strong communication and problem-solving skills, as well as being adaptable and open to learning new things. It is also important for them to understand the practical applications of their academic knowledge and how it can be applied in a real-world setting. Networking and building relationships with industry professionals can also help in finding job opportunities and staying updated on industry trends and advancements.