Help- Physics Momentum Lab Sources of Error

In summary, a grade 12 physics student conducted a momentum lab on a frictionless surface, involving a simple 2D collision and calculation of momentums. They are now seeking help in identifying possible sources of error, including information about the precision of the instruments used. The apparatus used for the lab was a glass tube covered with a garbage can, with a system set up to create a frictionless environment. The masses were collided and a stop watch was used to measure the time.
TaintedLove
Hi Everyone! I'm a grade 12 physics student and we conducted a momentum lab. On a frictionless surface, we conducted a simple 2D collision and using the data gathered from that, we had to calculated the momemtums and indicate what type of collision had taken place... that was all fine and done but now I'm having difficulty thinking of possible sources of error? Could someone please help me out. Below I'll post a picture of the apparatus.
293ua0p.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what measurements you took, and the equipment you used to do it.
Could you give a little more information?
For a start: do you know the precision (scale sensitivity) of the instruments?

Well, it was a glass tube, covered with a garbage can and the system was set up in such a way, that when it was turned on, it was supposed to be frictionless. We collided the two masses and used a stop watch to find out the time.

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In other words, it is the quantity of motion an object has.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), expressed as p = mv.

3. What are sources of error in a momentum lab?

There are several sources of error in a momentum lab, such as human error in measurement, equipment limitations, and external forces acting on the objects being studied.

4. How can sources of error be minimized in a momentum lab?

To minimize sources of error in a momentum lab, it is important to take precise and accurate measurements, use high-quality equipment, and perform multiple trials to account for any variations in data.

5. Why is understanding momentum important in physics?

Understanding momentum allows us to better predict and analyze the motion of objects. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is essential in many areas such as engineering, mechanics, and astronomy.