Electrostatic potential of unit charge in vacuum

In summary, the conversation is about understanding an equation involving the length of a vector and how to derive a specific part of the equation using trigonometry. The solution involves using a standard trigonometric formula for triangles. The conversation ends with the person thanking someone for their help in understanding the equation.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I'm having hard time seeing that from this picture:
wiugio.jpg

Follows that:
[tex]\phi(\vect{r})=\frac{q}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\cdot\frac{1}{|\vec{x}|}[/tex]
The thing that puzzles me isn't the equation but this:
[tex]\frac{1}{|\vec{x}|}=\frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{k}|}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+r^2-2r\cos\theta}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The length of vector (norm):
[tex]||\vec{a}||=\sqrt{a_1^2+a_2^2+a_3^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know why is [tex]|\vec{x}|=|\vec{r}-\vec{k}|[/tex]

That follows from simple subtraction of two vectors. And from triangle I see that [tex]\cos\theta=\frac{|\vec{k}|}{|\vec{r}|}[/tex], so I can get [tex]\vec{k}[/tex] from that, but how do I get that thing under the square? I read a bit in Jacson, that I would need to transform that into polar coordinate system, but how?

Can someone give me detailed expansion of that?

Physics news on Phys.org
dingo_d said:
… how do I get that thing under the square? …

Hi dingo_d! :smile:

Either …

i] it's a standard trig formula for any triangle … a2 = b2 + c2 - 2bccosA

ii] just expand (r - k).(r - k) = r2 + … ? :smile:

Wow, really it's trig formula for triangle! the k is unit vector so k^2=1! I see it now :D Thanks!

What is electrostatic potential of unit charge in vacuum?

The electrostatic potential of unit charge in vacuum is the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to a point in a vacuum, against the electric field.

How is electrostatic potential of unit charge in vacuum calculated?

The electrostatic potential of unit charge in vacuum is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic potential?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic potential is volts (V). It is a derived unit from the SI unit for electric potential energy, joules (J), and is defined as one joule per coulomb (J/C).

How does the distance from the charge affect the electrostatic potential?

The electrostatic potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the charge. This means that as the distance increases, the potential decreases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance.

What is the significance of electrostatic potential in vacuum?

The electrostatic potential in vacuum is important in understanding the behavior of electric charges. It helps in calculating the electric potential energy, which is a key concept in understanding electrical phenomena such as electric fields, capacitance, and electric potential difference.