Radius of a circle with a magnetic field and electron velocity

In summary, the problem involves an electron moving perpendicular to a magnetic field and forming a circle. The goal is to find the radius of the circle. The magnetic force is equal to the centripetal force, and the electron's speed is given. Using the equation for centripetal force, the radius can be calculated. There is no need to calculate the magnetic field or the current.
skibum143

Homework Statement

An electron moving perpendicular to a magnetic field of 2.2*10^-2 T moves in a circle of certain radius. If the electron is moving with a speed of 1.5*10^7 m/s, what is the radius of the circle?

Homework Equations

B field = u0*I / 2 pi r
F = qvB

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused about how to find the current I in order to solve for the radius. I know that F = (-1.9*10^-19)*(1.5*10^7)*(2.2*10^-2) = -6.27*10^-10 (but positive because magnitude), but I can't figure out how to solve for r with two unknowns (r and I). Can someone help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron moves in a circle, so that the magnetic force is providing (equals) the centripetal force.

Hello skibum143,

skibum143 said:
I'm confused about how to find the current I in order to solve for the radius.

Um, why are you solving for I? There are no wires carrying current involved in this problem (well, none that we know about anyway). You already know the magnetic field (it's given in the problem statement), so there's no need to calculate that.

I know that F = (-1.9*10^-19)*(1.5*10^7)*(2.2*10^-2) = -6.27*10^-10 (but positive because magnitude),

:bugeye:

The charge of an electron is -1.602 x 10-19 C, btw. Be careful of your exponents too.

but I can't figure out how to solve for r with two unknowns (r and I). Can someone help?

Well, you have the capability of finding a force on the electron. The magnetic force (in this problem) is perpendicular to the electron's instantaneous velocity, such that it travels in a circle. The electron's speed is given in the problem statement. Can you think of any equation that relates force, velocity and radius of things traveling in a circle? :wink:

[Edit] Hint. You can always look up the mass of an electron if you need to.

Last edited:
I see, thank you!

1. What is the equation for calculating the radius of a circle with a magnetic field and electron velocity?

The equation for calculating the radius of a circle with a magnetic field and electron velocity is given by r = mv/qB, where r is the radius, m is the mass of the electron, v is the electron velocity, q is the charge of the electron, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. How does the magnetic field affect the radius of the circle?

The magnetic field has a direct effect on the radius of the circle. As the strength of the magnetic field increases, the radius of the circle decreases. This is because the magnetic force on the electron is stronger, causing it to move in a tighter circle.

3. What happens to the radius of the circle if the electron velocity increases?

If the electron velocity increases, the radius of the circle also increases. This is because the electron is moving faster, causing it to cover more distance in the same amount of time. Therefore, the circle becomes wider.

4. Can the radius of the circle be negative?

No, the radius of the circle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the distance from the center of the circle to the edge.

5. How can the radius of the circle be used to determine the strength of the magnetic field?

The radius of the circle can be used to indirectly determine the strength of the magnetic field. By rearranging the equation r = mv/qB, we can solve for B and use the known values of r, m, v, and q to calculate the magnetic field strength.