Solve the Challenging Redox Chemistry Problem: KNaC4H4O6 + KMnO4 + HNO3

• Thread starter chem_tr
  • Start date
In summary: I wanted to share a good question with you. It uses your redox chemistry skills as well as theoretical atomic valance calculation of organic substances. However, nobody managed to solve this problem as it is sufficiently time-consuming and somewhat difficult. In summary, this question uses a redox chemistry equation with permanganate as an oxidizer and tartrate as a substrate. The orientations of OH groups are not important.
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wanted to share a good question with you. It uses your redox chemistry skills as well as theoretical atomic valance calculation of organic substances. However, nobody managed to solve this problem as it is sufficiently time-consuming and somewhat difficult.

Write the full-balanced equation of potassium sodium tartrate (KNaC4H4O6; see the attachment) with potassium permanganate in the presence of nitric acid. Note that the orientations of alcoholic OH groups are not important in this question.

Hint: I can give a reaction of oxalic acid (HOOC-COOH) in this way:

5*[C(3+) ---> C(4+) + e(-)]
Mn(7+) + 5e(-) ---> Mn(2+)
-----------------------------------------------
5C(3+) + Mn(7+) ---> 5C(4+) + Mn(2+)
10C(3+) + 2Mn(7+)---> 10C(4+) + 2Mn(2+)

5 H2C2O4 + 2 KMnO4 + 6 HCl ---> 10 CO2 + 2 MnCl2 + 2 KCl + 8 H2O

Hint2: Note that tartrate contains two kinds of C atoms; alcoholic and carboxylic, so two different sets of redox chemistry is involved altogether.

If you have enough time to deal with a challenging question, give it a try.

Regards
chem_tr

Chemistry news on Phys.org
it's certainly time consuming

-------
Online Chemistry Resource
http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryHomework/_whatsnew.msnw

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not wrong, but one of my teachers told other students that the exact valence of carbons are not clear and therefore an average value may be proposed for several years, and I tried hard to determine if a valid valence is present.

Since the time I solved that puzzle-like question, I am very comfortable with redox-chemistry questions; this is one of the most difficult ones. So if anybody has a difficulty with redox chemistry, it may be useful to make an attempt to solve it.

Regards
chem_tr

chem_tr said:
I wanted to share a good question with you. It uses your redox chemistry skills as well as theoretical atomic valance calculation of organic substances. However, nobody managed to solve this problem as it is sufficiently time-consuming and somewhat difficult.

Write the full-balanced equation of potassium sodium tartrate (KNaC4H4O6; see the attachment) with potassium permanganate in the presence of nitric acid. Note that the orientations of alcoholic OH groups are not important in this question.

Hint: I can give a reaction of oxalic acid (HOOC-COOH) in this way:

5*[C(3+) ---> C(4+) + e(-)]
Mn(7+) + 5e(-) ---> Mn(2+)
-----------------------------------------------
5C(3+) + Mn(7+) ---> 5C(4+) + Mn(2+)
10C(3+) + 2Mn(7+)---> 10C(4+) + 2Mn(2+)

Hint2: Note that tartrate contains two kinds of C atoms; alcoholic and carboxylic, so two different sets of redox chemistry is involved altogether.

If you have enough time to deal with a challenging question, give it a try.

Regards
chem_tr

What is the solvent? Water? Some alcohol?
What is the function of the Nitric Acid?
Proton source? Oxidizer?
What is its molar concentration?

thanks for your interest

Hello,

As you see the reaction below, our assumption is qualitative, so the choice of solvent, type of acid, etc. is not very important:

But you are right of course, we may try to solve this question in terms of quantitative basis; tartrate can be a good primer standard for determining permanganate factor. If you want to find the factor (correct concentration) of a permanganate solution with tartrate, you must write the full balanced equation for correct calculation.

So let's say this question has nothing to do with molar concentrations and even the type of acid.

The solvent should be an aqueous type because alcohol is readily oxidized by permanganate to give acetaldehyde and even acetic acid; therefore should not be used here. Nitric acid is only proton source in our example;permanganate is the only oxidizer in this question. As an acid, you may use HCl, HClO4, or H2SO4. You will obtain manganese(II)nitrate, potassium and sodium nitrate, etc. in the resulting solution if you use nitric acid.

Regards,
chem_tr

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of solving redox chemistry problems?

Solving redox chemistry problems allows us to understand how electrons are transferred between reactants and products in a chemical reaction, as well as predict the outcome of the reaction.

2. How do you approach solving a challenging redox chemistry problem?

The first step is to identify the elements that are undergoing oxidation and reduction. Then, balance the atoms and the charges on both sides of the reaction using the half-reaction method. Finally, check that the number of electrons transferred is equal on both sides of the reaction.

3. What is the role of potassium permanganate (KMnO4) in this problem?

Potassium permanganate is a strong oxidizing agent and is used to oxidize the other reactants in the reaction. This allows for the transfer of electrons, resulting in a redox reaction.

4. Why is it important to include HNO3 in the reaction?

HNO3, or nitric acid, is a strong acid that serves as a proton donor in the reaction. It also helps to dissolve the other reactants and facilitate the redox reaction.

5. How would you verify the accuracy of your solution to this redox chemistry problem?

To ensure the accuracy of the solution, one can use a redox titration to experimentally determine the amount of oxidizing agent used in the reaction. The calculated amount should match the experimental amount for the solution to be considered accurate.