Why is the speed of light in a vacuum considered the ultimate limit?

In summary, Einstein's theory of general relativity deals with the speed of light in a vacuum, which can take on different forms when traveling through mass. This is a property of space-time, and many physical effects are propagated at the speed of light. It is a balance between time and space, with nature being much faster than human-made technology like the SR-71. The speed of light being the fastest is a result of natural laws and principles, and it has been shown that even particles with no mass, like photons, can interact with black holes. Further reading on this topic can be found in the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.
13habelbrea
Dont want to read all of this, then just read the last paragraph. If you still mixed up then read all of it.

Why does einsteins theory of general relativity deal with c, the speed of light in a vacuum, the speed of light can take on many different forms when traveling through mass. But what's so spechial about the speed of light in a vacuum. Would not this mean that the empty space (called a vacuum) as something to deal about the proportys of the photon? All I know is that when you put light with open space it's the fastest thing in the world.

Heres what I think about a photon. Normaly when you have a matter, you have more energy and potential for speed. But when you put light into the mix it will reflect of matter to get us colors just like it does not want to be put in with energy/matter. When light is put with matter it slows down when matter contains all the energy. So the electrons and neutrons and protons seem to reject light with there energy. Or sufficate is so that is will slow down.

So here's my question to you science huggers, because our constant c, the speed of light is written all over I am mathematics (which we use to relate and calculate life) would the speed of light in a vacuum have to deal with the proporty of the photon? Or maby the proporty of space? I have been thinking about for some while but.

(Thanks)

Science news on Phys.org
It's a property of space-time.

Many physical effects are propagated at c, not just light.

Also, general relativity deals with c as well.

Think of it like this: c is a number that tells you how nature balances time against space. When someone asks you how far you are from someplace they often answer with a time instead of a distance. It's like saying that New York is 2 hours from Los Angeles in an SR-71. Except nature is a lot faster.

Last edited:
Is it a proprty of matter to be slow or a proporty of light to be fast. I know its nature all of this is in the natrue of science, but why, where does it come and why is it there? Whay kind of science takes place that says light shold be the fastest? When we come to the photon I have even heard that it has to mass. Think about it, has no mass and then light can get intefeared with a black hole?

13habelbrea said:
Is it a proprty of matter to be slow or a proporty of light to be fast. I know its nature all of this is in the natrue of science, but why, where does it come and why is it there? Whay kind of science takes place that says light shold be the fastest? When we come to the photon I have even heard that it has to mass. Think about it, has no mass and then light can get intefeared with a black hole?

Please start by reading the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

The speed of light in a vacuum, also known as the speed of light in a vacuum, is considered the ultimate limit because it is the maximum speed at which any form of energy or matter can travel. This is due to the fundamental laws of physics, specifically Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is a constant and cannot be exceeded by any form of matter or energy. This means that no matter how much energy is applied, the speed of light will always remain the same.

Furthermore, the speed of light in a vacuum is also considered the ultimate limit because it is the fastest speed at which information can travel. This is due to the fact that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it requires more and more energy to continue accelerating. This makes it impossible for an object to reach the speed of light, let alone exceed it.

In addition, the speed of light in a vacuum is crucial in many areas of physics and mathematics. It is a fundamental constant that is used to calculate and understand various phenomena in the universe, such as the behavior of particles and the nature of space and time. Without this constant, many of our current theories and equations would not hold true.

Therefore, the speed of light in a vacuum is considered the ultimate limit because it is a fundamental constant that cannot be exceeded and is essential in our understanding of the universe. It is a cornerstone of modern physics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the world around us.

1. What is the universal speed of light?

The universal speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 670,616,629 miles per hour.

2. How was the universal speed of light determined?

The universal speed of light was first determined by the famous physicist, Albert Einstein, through his theory of special relativity. It was later confirmed by numerous experiments, including the Michelson-Morley experiment and the famous E=mc² equation.

3. Is the universal speed of light constant?

Yes, according to the theory of special relativity, the universal speed of light is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference. This means that the speed of light will always be the same, regardless of how fast the observer is moving.

4. Can anything travel faster than the universal speed of light?

No, according to the theory of special relativity, the universal speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. It is considered a fundamental constant and cannot be exceeded by any form of matter or energy.

5. Are there any exceptions to the universal speed of light?

Currently, there are no known exceptions to the universal speed of light. However, some theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, propose ways to potentially travel faster than the speed of light by manipulating space-time. These theories are still speculative and have not been proven.