Is Hydrogen Bonding the Sole Factor Affecting Viscosity and Surface Tension?

• Thread starter Kracatoan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the speaker conducted a series of tests comparing the viscosity and surface tension of water and glycerol and found that water has a higher surface tension but glycerol is more viscous. This contradicts the common belief that both properties are directly proportional to the amount of hydrogen bonds a molecule has. The speaker is seeking thoughts on this matter and notes that the simple rule may not apply to substances like water and glycerol.
Kracatoan
Just given in my physics Coursework and I wanted to see what you lot thought about my rather interesting results.

Basically, I compared the vicosity and surface tension of both water and glycerol through a series of tests and was rather surprised at what I found. According to my results (and data books when I checked), water has a higher surface tension than glycerol, but glycerol is more viscous than water.

Everything I have read on the internet and heard from Chemistry teachers is that both viscosity and surface tension are directly proportional to the amount of hydrogen bonds a molecule has, but obviously that cannot be the whole truth.

Any thoughts on this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Kracatoan said:
Everything I have read on the internet and heard from Chemistry teachers is that both viscosity and surface tension are directly proportional to the amount of hydrogen bonds a molecule has, but obviously that cannot be the whole truth.

In short - all other things being equal the more hydrogen bonds, the higher the surface tension and viscosity. But obviously water and glycerol are too different for such a simple rule to be effective.

Polyethylene has almost no hydrogen bonding but is so much thicker than both.

1. What are the main differences between water and glycerol?

The main difference between water and glycerol is their chemical composition. Water is a simple molecule consisting of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom (H2O), while glycerol is a larger molecule with three carbon atoms, eight hydrogen atoms, and three oxygen atoms (C3H8O3). Another key difference is their physical properties - water is a liquid at room temperature, while glycerol is a thick, syrupy liquid.

2. How do water and glycerol differ in terms of their uses?

Water is an essential component of living organisms and plays a vital role in many biological processes such as hydration, digestion, and temperature regulation. It is also widely used in industries for various purposes such as cleaning, cooling, and manufacturing. Glycerol, on the other hand, has many different uses including as a moisturizer in skincare products, a solvent in pharmaceuticals, and a sweetener in food products.

3. Can water and glycerol be mixed together?

Yes, water and glycerol can be mixed together to form a solution. However, the amount of glycerol that can dissolve in water is limited, and the resulting solution may become cloudy if too much glycerol is added. This is due to the difference in polarity between the two molecules - water is a polar molecule, while glycerol is non-polar.

4. How do the boiling and freezing points of water and glycerol compare?

The boiling point of water is 100°C, while the boiling point of glycerol is 290°C. This is because glycerol is a larger molecule with stronger intermolecular forces, requiring more energy to break its bonds and reach a gaseous state. The freezing point of water is 0°C, while the freezing point of glycerol is 18°C. This is because glycerol has more molecular bonds and a lower molecular motion, making it more difficult to freeze.

5. What are the environmental impacts of water and glycerol?

Water is a vital resource for all living things and its availability and quality have a significant impact on the environment. Pollution and overuse of water can lead to negative consequences such as water scarcity and harm to aquatic ecosystems. Glycerol, on the other hand, is considered non-toxic and biodegradable, making it a more environmentally friendly substance. However, the production of glycerol from certain sources, such as palm oil, can contribute to deforestation and other environmental issues.