Equivalence point and calcalus

In summary, the Fortuin's method is a mathematical method used to determine the equivalence point location in potentiometric titration. Further information about this method can be found in the link provided or by searching for "Fortuin titration." This discussion should be moved to the Chemistry forum.
aeacfm
in my potentiometric titration instrument manual the manufacturer wrote that the equivalence point locationis determined using procedure based on the Fortuin's method !

i searched the web for this Fortuin's method all what i can gain is that it is mathematical method ! can anybody tell me what is the Fortuin's method ?
and any link to read more about it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TF4-44X7YTW-CF&_user=1069331&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F1954&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1533755353&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000051277&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1069331&md5=cac5f034f83e0d153ca2663f2d49180f&searchtype=a

give the method?

See also

http://books.google.ca/books?id=1WE...Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Fortuin titration&f=false.

I think that this thread should be moved to the Chemistry forum.

thanks

1. What is the equivalence point in a titration?

The equivalence point in a titration is the point at which the number of moles of one reactant is equal to the number of moles of another reactant, based on the balanced chemical equation. This point indicates that the reaction is complete and all of one reactant has been consumed by the other.

2. How is the equivalence point determined in a titration?

The equivalence point is determined by using an indicator or by monitoring the pH of the solution. An indicator is a substance that changes color at a specific pH, indicating when the reaction is complete. pH monitoring involves using a pH meter or pH paper to determine when the solution reaches a specific pH, which corresponds to the equivalence point.

3. What is the significance of the equivalence point in a titration?

The equivalence point is significant because it allows for the determination of the amount of a substance present in a solution. By knowing the amount of one reactant needed to reach the equivalence point, the amount of the other reactant can be calculated. This is important in various scientific fields, such as chemistry and biology, for determining concentrations and performing quantitative analyses.

4. How does calculus relate to the equivalence point in a titration?

Calculus is used to determine the equivalence point mathematically. The derivative of the titration curve (a plot of pH or volume of titrant added vs. volume of titrant added) at the equivalence point is equal to zero. This means that the slope of the curve is flat at this point, indicating that the reaction has reached its completion.

5. Can the equivalence point be altered in a titration?

Yes, the equivalence point can be altered by changing the experimental conditions, such as temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants. It can also be affected by the presence of impurities or errors in measurements. However, in ideal conditions, the equivalence point will remain constant for a specific reaction.