Block on Wall Static Friction (Springs)

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup and process for measuring the static friction coefficient between a block and a vertical wall. The block is attached to a spring, which is compressed by 0.0400 m. Using the equations F = kx and Ff = µFn, the coefficient of static friction is calculated to be 1.24. However, upon realizing that only the forces in the direction of motion are relevant, the correct answer is found to be 1.25.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

To measure the static friction coefficient between a 1.64-kg block and a vertical wall, the setup shown in the drawing below is used. (The dots are only there because spaces didn't work)
......|
......|W
SPRING----->(Block)|A
......|L
......|L
......|
A spring (spring constant = 500 N/m) is attached to the block. Someone pushes on the end of the spring in a direction perpendicular to the wall until the block does not slip downward. The spring is compressed by 0.0400 m. What is the coefficient of static friction?

K = 500n/m
m = 1.64kg
x = 0.0400m

Homework Equations

I know that the force by the spring pressing against the block is 20N since i used F =kx
I also know that the force of gravity is 16.1N

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted finding force by the spring on the block = 20N
Force of gravity = 16.1N
then subbing the two in.
Ff = µFn
20 = µ(16.1)
µ = 1.24

But that's not the right answer.
Doesn't it only matter with the forces in the direction of motion?
so since the block would be falling, how does the spring come into play?
I'm kind of confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hypnos_16! :smile:
Hypnos_16 said:
Ff = µFn
20 = µ(16.1)

erm :redface: … your numbers don't fit your letters :wink:

How do you mean?
The force of gravity is the only thing working in the y direction so Fn = Mg
And i figured the force of friction would be the force required to keep it from moving.

16.1 = µ(20) :wink:

You're joking me! wow. I feel like an idiot now...and yep, that's the right answer. Thanks man!

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when it is in contact with a surface. It acts in the opposite direction of an applied force and is equal in magnitude to the force applied until the force reaches a certain threshold, at which point the object will begin to move.

2. How does static friction differ from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. The magnitude of kinetic friction is typically lower than that of static friction, making it easier for an object to continue moving once it has overcome the static friction threshold.

3. How does a block on a wall demonstrate static friction?

A block on a wall is a classic example of static friction because the block is at rest and does not move unless an external force, such as gravity or a push, is applied. The force of gravity pulling the block down is countered by the force of static friction between the block and the wall, which keeps the block in place.

4. What role do springs play in static friction experiments?

Springs can be used in static friction experiments to measure the force needed to overcome the static friction threshold. By attaching a spring to an object and gradually increasing the force applied to the object, the spring will stretch until the force is strong enough to overcome the static friction and cause the object to move.

5. How does the coefficient of static friction affect a block on a wall?

The coefficient of static friction is the measure of the strength of the force of static friction between two surfaces. In the case of a block on a wall, a higher coefficient of static friction means that more force is required to overcome the friction and move the block. This can be seen in experiments where the same block is tested on different wall surfaces with varying coefficients of static friction.