Is the true for any scalar function?

In summary, both of them say that φ is not dependent on a single position and that Stoke's theorem can be used to show this.
CalcYouLater

Homework Statement

If [tex]\phi[/tex] depends on a single position only, [tex]\phi=\phi(x,y,z)[/tex]

Can I say that:

[tex]\oint{\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial{x}}dx=\oint{d\phi}=[\phi]_{a}^{a}=0[/tex]

Provided that the point a lies on the closed path being integrated around?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am 99.99% sure I can. I am in the middle of "showing" how one theorem implies another, and I wasn't sure if I could knock the partial dx off with the total dx in any case under the conditions above. Thanks for any help. (Sorry, I can't seem to get my latex correct. The second to last term is intended to be phi evaluated from a to a. Also the title should read "Is this true for any scalar function")

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since [itex]\phi[/itex] depends only on [itex]x[/itex],
[tex]
\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial y} = 0 = \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial z}.
[/tex]
So,
[tex]d\phi = \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial y} dy + \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial z} dz = \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial y} dx.[/tex]
Hence,
[tex] \oint d\phi = \oint \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}dx = \int_a ^a\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}dx = 0.[/tex]

However, I'm not sure what you mean by
CalcYouLater said:
What point are you referring to?

CalcYouLater said:

Homework Statement

If [tex]\phi[/tex] depends on a single position only, [tex]\phi=\phi(x,y,z)[/tex]

Can I say that:

[tex]\oint{\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial{x}}dx=\oint{d\phi}=[\phi]_{a}^{a}=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

I am 99.99% sure I can. I am in the middle of "showing" how one theorem implies another, and I wasn't sure if I could knock the partial dx off with the total dx in any case under the conditions above. Thanks for any help. (Sorry, I can't seem to get my latex correct. The second to last term is intended to be phi evaluated from a to a. Also the title should read "Is this true for any scalar function")

Not sure what you mean when you say φ "depends on a single position only" but I think the answer is no. Consider φ = xy and C the boundary of the unit square.

[tex]\oint_C \phi_x\, dx = \oint_C y\, dx = -1[/tex]

because only the top side of the square contributes a nonzero value.

LCKurtz said:
Not sure what you mean when you say φ "depends on a single position only"
I think he means that φ depends on a single parameter (e.g. only the x-coordinate).

Thank you both for the responses.

foxjwill said:
However, I'm not sure what you mean by

What point are you referring to?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I intended to say that "a" is a point on the path. That was bad use of wording on my part.

LCKurtz said:
Not sure what you mean when you say φ "depends on a single position only" but I think the answer is no. Consider φ = xy and C the boundary of the unit square.

[tex]\oint_C \phi_x\, dx = \oint_C y\, dx = -1[/tex]

because only the top side of the square contributes a nonzero value.

When I said that φ depends on a single position only, I meant to imply that it was something like a potential, or temperature distribution. I can see how the way I worded it is confusing.

After thinking about LCKurtz's scenario with the unit square I realize that I have totally butchered this question.

Here is what I should have done from the start:

Homework Statement

Irrotational field theorem

Given that:

a.) [tex]\overline{\nabla}\times\overline{F}=0[/tex]
b.) [tex]\oint{\overline{F}\cdot{d{\overline{l}}}=0[/tex]

Show that a[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]b

Homework Equations

[tex]\overline{\nabla}\times\overline{F}=0\Leftrightarrow{\overline{F}}=\overline{\nabla}V[/tex]

I know that Stoke's theorem will show this in an instant. I wanted to try and show it using the equations listed under relevant equations. My thought was that by writing the vector indicated by "F" as the gradient of some scalar, I could show that integrating along a closed path would give me a null result for any scalar chosen.

Well, you could use the fact that [itex]\nabla V[/itex] is a path-independent vector field.

foxjwill said:
Well, you could use the fact that [itex]\nabla V[/itex] is a path-independent vector field.

Hmm, does that mean it is as simple as saying:

[tex]\overline{\nabla}V{\bot}{d\overline{l}}[/tex]

For constant "V"

Last edited:
Duh, I should have been thinking about the fundamental theorem of Calculus as well as the gradient theorem.

Gradient Theorem:

[tex]\int_{a}^{b}(\nabla{f})\cdot{d{\overline{l}}}=f(b)-f(a)[/tex]

Thanks again to foxjwill and LCKurtz for their help!

1. What is a scalar function?

A scalar function is a mathematical function that takes in one or more variables and outputs a single scalar value. Scalar functions are used to describe physical quantities such as temperature, pressure, or velocity.

2. How do you determine if a function is scalar?

A function is considered scalar if its output is a single value, regardless of the number of variables it takes in. This means that the function's output does not depend on the direction or orientation of the input, only its magnitude.

3. Can any function be considered scalar?

No, not all functions can be considered scalar. Functions that output multiple values or vectors are not considered scalar. Additionally, functions that depend on the direction or orientation of the input are also not scalar.

4. How are scalar functions used in science?

Scalar functions are used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to describe physical quantities and relationships between variables, and are often used in mathematical models and equations to solve real-world problems.

5. What is the difference between a scalar function and a vector function?

A scalar function outputs a single value, while a vector function outputs multiple values or a vector. Additionally, scalar functions do not depend on the direction or orientation of the input, while vector functions do. Scalar functions are used to describe quantities such as temperature or pressure, while vector functions are used to describe quantities with both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.