Networking/between two computers/sharing

• Thread starter Tregg Smith
  • Start date
In summary, there are a few ways to get a document printed from one machine on the wireless network to the other computer that has the printer wired to it.
Tregg Smith
Not that I didn't try but does anyone have an explanation of how to get a document printed from one machine on the wireless network to the other computer that has the printer wired to it? Or for that matter share any file between the two machines? It's all wireless via router. I looked in the control panel and found a list of connected devices one of which was the computer w/ the document to print but it wouldn't let me access that computer. One machine is Win Vista and the other is Windows 7

Computer science news on Phys.org
There's a couple ways. If you just want to print, install a print server program (for example, http://download.cnet.com/PrinterShare-32-bit/3000-18507_4-75211580.html).

If you want to be able to transfer documents to the other computer, and it's a Windows, you'll have to setup "sharing." That's a pain to walk someone through, and I'm sure there's a billion sites that explain it, so just use Google. :)

The alternative is just to buy a print server (hardware), that let's you network your printer to any computer on your home network.

You could email the document from one machine to the other. I have a vaguely similar problem and that's what I do.

Hi Tregg Smith! :smile:

I googled: "how to get a document printed from one machine on the wireless network to the other computer that has the printer wired to it".

This is the third hit, that I think answers your question perfectly (with good pictures):
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

Of course, like mathman said, emailing works too (I do that when I lack administrative privileges or if it's a one-time only thing).
Or using an USB stick to transfer the files (I do that at work, where we're not allowed much).

I can suggest a few potential solutions for your networking issue. First, make sure that both computers are connected to the same wireless network and that the printer is also connected to the network. This will ensure that all devices can communicate with each other.

Next, check the printer settings on the computer with the wired connection. Make sure that the printer is set to be shared on the network. You may need to refer to the printer's manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions on how to do this.

Once the printer is set to be shared, you should be able to access it from the other computer. In the control panel, look for the option to add a printer and select the shared printer from the list of available devices. This should allow you to print from the other computer as if the printer were directly connected to it.

To share files between the two computers, you can use the built-in file sharing feature in Windows. In the control panel, look for the option to set up a homegroup or network. Follow the prompts to create a homegroup and select the files and folders that you want to share. Then, on the other computer, you can join the same homegroup and access the shared files.

If you continue to have trouble with the network, you may need to troubleshoot the wireless connection or consult with a technician for further assistance. Overall, the key is to ensure that all devices are connected to the same network and that the appropriate sharing settings are enabled.

1. How do I connect two computers for sharing?

To connect two computers for sharing, you will need an Ethernet cable or a wireless router. If using an Ethernet cable, plug one end into the Ethernet port of each computer. If using a wireless router, make sure both computers are connected to the same network and have file sharing enabled.

2. Can I share files between a Mac and a PC?

Yes, it is possible to share files between a Mac and a PC. You can either use a direct cable connection, a wireless network, or a file sharing service such as Dropbox or Google Drive. Both computers must have the correct software and settings configured to enable sharing between different operating systems.

3. How do I set up file sharing on a Windows computer?

To set up file sharing on a Windows computer, go to the Control Panel and click on "Network and Internet." Then, click on "Network and Sharing Center" and select "Change advanced sharing settings." Make sure file and printer sharing is turned on and that the network discovery and file sharing options are also enabled.

4. What is the difference between a LAN and a WAN?

A LAN (Local Area Network) is a network that connects devices in a small geographical area, such as a home or office. A WAN (Wide Area Network) is a network that connects devices over a larger geographical area, such as multiple offices or cities. LANs are typically faster and more secure, while WANs allow for larger scale connections and remote access.

5. How can I ensure the security of shared files?

To ensure the security of shared files, you can use a variety of methods such as setting up user permissions, encrypting files, and using a firewall. It is also important to regularly update and secure all devices connected to the network to prevent unauthorized access. Additionally, using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can add an extra layer of security when sharing files over the internet.