How many of you are employed in your field?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the percentage of employed scientists is calculated by dividing the total number of scientists currently employed in their field by the total number of scientists in that field. Factors that can affect the employment rate of scientists include economic conditions, funding for research and development, and demand for scientists in a particular field. There can be significant differences in employment rates between different fields of science, as well as regional differences. Generally, scientists have a higher employment rate compared to other professions due to the specialized skills and knowledge required for their work.

Are you currently employed in the field for which you have studied?

• Yes, I am employed in my specialty field.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • No, I am employed in an area outside of my specialty field.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • No, I am currently unemployed.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No, I am still currently pursuing my education.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. I have started this poll to gauge, among the Physicsforums community, how many of you are employed in the field that you have studied. For example, if you have completed a physics PhD, are you currently in a field directly related to your education (e.g. national labs, universities, etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am one of those on record as being unemployed, but that is only because I am retired. As long as I was working, I was always appropriately employed.

In few months will have completed a PhD in Economics, and already accepted an offer in my field.

1. How is the percentage of employed scientists calculated?

The percentage of employed scientists is calculated by dividing the total number of scientists currently employed in their field by the total number of scientists in that field.

2. What factors affect the employment rate of scientists?

There are several factors that can affect the employment rate of scientists, including economic conditions, funding for research and development, and the overall demand for scientists in a particular field.

3. Is there a difference in employment rates between different fields of science?

Yes, there can be significant differences in employment rates between different fields of science. Some fields may have a high demand for scientists, while others may have a saturated job market with limited opportunities.

4. Are there any regional differences in the employment of scientists?

Yes, there can be regional differences in the employment of scientists. Some areas may have a higher concentration of companies or research institutions in a particular field, leading to more employment opportunities for scientists in that region.

5. How does the employment rate of scientists compare to other professions?

The employment rate of scientists varies depending on the field, but generally, scientists have a higher employment rate compared to other professions. This is due to the specialized skills and knowledge required for scientific work, which are in high demand in many industries.