Finding the frequency of a series parallel circuit using complex notation

In summary: So, you have1kΩ || 500mH = (1kΩ × 500mH) / (1kΩ + 500mH) = 500/1.5 = 333.33 Ω = (333.33 + j0) ΩIn summary, the frequency, ω, of the source in the circuit of Figure 2 is adjusted until ig is in phase with vg. Using complex notation, the value of ω (rad/sec) can be determined by separating the impedance into its real and imaginary parts and finding a value of ω that makes the imaginary part equal to zero.
Karma1
The frequency, ω, of the source in the circuit of Figure 2 is adjusted until ig is in phase with vg.

(a)using complex notation, determine the value of ω (rad/sec)

Can anyone out there please help with this question? I've tried multiple methods but I am really struggling with simplifying the equation and my answers are wildly inaccurate.

(Please see attached document for details of the circuit)

Attachments

• Complex Circuit.png
    Complex Circuit.png
    4 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org
Karma1 said:
The frequency, ω, of the source in the circuit of Figure 2 is adjusted until ig is in phase with vg.

(a)using complex notation, determine the value of ω (rad/sec)

Can anyone out there please help with this question? I've tried multiple methods but I am really struggling with simplifying the equation and my answers are wildly inaccurate.

(Please see attached document for details of the circuit)

You'll have to demonstrate an attempt so that we can see how to help.

Karma1 said:
Ive tried multiple methods but I am really struggling with simplifying the equation and my answers are wildly inaccurate.
Hi Karma1! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

To get you started, at a frequency ω, what is the impedance of 1kΩ || 500mH? Express your answer in the form: a + jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey NascentOxygen,

I havn't got a clue where to start I'm sorry.

This is what I've managed so far.

Attachments

• Complex Calculations.jpg
    Complex Calculations.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 520
j is not zero; j is the square root of -1. What is zero at resonance is the imaginary term of the impedance.

You've got the correct approach for determining the impedance. What you need to do is separate it into its real and imaginary parts; write it in the form: [real part] + j[imaginary part], and then deal with finding a value for ω that makes [imaginary part] zero.

1. What is a series parallel circuit?

A series parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both series and parallel components. This means that some components are connected in a series, where the current flows through one component to the next, and others are connected in parallel, where the current splits and flows through multiple components simultaneously.

2. How is complex notation used to find the frequency of a series parallel circuit?

Complex notation, also known as phasor notation, is used to represent the amplitude, phase, and frequency of a sinusoidal waveform in a complex number form. By converting the circuit components into their corresponding complex numbers, we can use mathematical operations to find the overall impedance and therefore the frequency of the circuit.

3. Why is it important to find the frequency of a series parallel circuit?

The frequency of a series parallel circuit is important because it affects the behavior of the circuit. Depending on the frequency, the impedance of the circuit may change, which can impact the flow of current and the overall performance of the circuit. Additionally, knowing the frequency is important for troubleshooting and designing circuits.

4. What factors can affect the frequency of a series parallel circuit?

The frequency of a series parallel circuit can be affected by the values of the components in the circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The overall topology of the circuit, including the arrangement of series and parallel components, can also impact the frequency. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and noise can also affect the frequency.

5. Can the frequency of a series parallel circuit change over time?

Yes, the frequency of a series parallel circuit can change over time. This can happen if the values of the circuit components change, or if the external conditions affecting the circuit change. For example, temperature changes can cause the frequency to shift. Additionally, if the circuit has a time-varying input (such as an AC power source), the frequency will also change over time.