Showing that a limit exists or showing that it does not exist

• Thread starter htdc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, The limit as (x,y) approaches (0,0) of (2x^2y)/(x^2+2y^2) does not exist. While approaching along the line x=y gives a limit of 0, this is not enough to prove that the limit exists. Further methods, such as the squeeze theorem, must be used to show that the limit exists.
htdc
Evaluate the limit if it exists or show it does not exist.

limit as (x,y) approaches (0,0) (2x^2y)/(x^2+2y^2)Had this problem on a test and got points taken off - I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. Obviously when we plug in (0,0) we get 0/0 which isn't allowed.

I let x=y and ended up with (2y^3)/(3y^2) which reduces to (2y)/3. Wouldn't the limit still be 0?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did is approaching (0,0) along the line x=y. If we approach it along this line, then we indeed find a limit of 0.

But this is not enough. If we want the limit to exist and to be 0, then the limit should exist no matter how we approached it! For example, if I approach it along [itex]y=x^2[/itex], then I should also get 0.

Showing that a limit exists involves more than just choosing a relationship between x and y. We cannot do it like that. We can prove it by definition, or perhaps by using the squeeze theorem.

What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

How do I show that a limit exists?

To show that a limit exists, you must demonstrate that the function approaches the same value from both the left and right sides as the input approaches the specific value. This can be done by evaluating the function at various points near the specific value and observing the trend of the outputs.

What are some common techniques used to show that a limit exists?

Some common techniques used to show that a limit exists include direct substitution, factoring, and rationalization. Additionally, the squeeze theorem and the epsilon-delta definition of a limit can also be used.

How do I show that a limit does not exist?

To show that a limit does not exist, you must demonstrate that the function approaches different values from the left and right sides as the input approaches the specific value. This can be done by evaluating the function at various points near the specific value and observing the trend of the outputs.

What are some common reasons for a limit not existing?

A limit may not exist due to a jump or discontinuity in the function, an asymptote, or an oscillating behavior as the input approaches the specific value. It can also be caused by the function approaching different values from different directions due to a lack of continuity or differentiability at the specific value.