Finding Volume of Solid of Revolution around Y-Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid generated by rotating about the y-axis using the formula ∏∫x^2δy. After substituting the bounds (y=0, y=1) into the antiderivative, the correct answer is 3pi/5.
lionely

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by rotating about the y-axis
y= 1-x3 x=0 , y=0

I tried sketching the graph of y= 1-x^3 then tried to find the volume from y=1 to y=0.

if x^3 = 1-y
x= (1-y)1/3
so x2= (1-y)2/3

∏∫x2δy

=> ∏∫(1-y)2/3.dy = ∏[ -3/5(1-y)^(5/3)]

I did that for y=1 to y=0.
But I can't get the right answer.

I got 0pi
but the answer should be 3pi/5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if you told us what answer you got and what answer you are supposed to get.

I edited it

The antiderivative looks right, so it looks like the error is in substituting the y = 1 and y = 0. Double check your work.

omg I'm so stupid I didn't do the one for 0, because most times when it's 0 I ignore it. Bad a habit. I got 3/5pi now

Last edited by a moderator:
lionely said:
∏[ -3/5(1-y)^(5/3)]

I did that for y=1 to y=0.
What did you get for each bound (y=0, y=1)?

I got it now!

What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. The resulting shape is symmetrical around the axis of rotation.

What are some common examples of solids of revolution?

Some common examples of solids of revolution include spheres, cylinders, cones, and tori (donuts). These shapes can be formed by rotating a circle, rectangle, or other two-dimensional shape around a central axis.

How do you calculate the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π∫(f(x))^2 dx, where f(x) is the function that represents the cross-sectional area of the solid at a given point. This integral is evaluated over the interval of rotation, typically from 0 to the desired value for x.

What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a surface of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape, while a surface of revolution is a two-dimensional shape. A solid of revolution has volume, while a surface of revolution does not. A surface of revolution is formed by rotating a curve around an axis, while a solid of revolution is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis.

What are some real-world applications of solids of revolution?

Solids of revolution have many practical applications, including in manufacturing, engineering, and architecture. For example, cylinders are commonly used in engines and pipes, while spheres are used in sports equipment and packaging. Cones are used in traffic cones and ice cream cones, and tori are used in donuts and car tires.