Question about AMU & Temp. Conversions

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
In summary, the AMU is based on the weight of a proton and it is not the proton's weight which is 1.0073 amu. There are two ways to convert temperatures between Fahrenheit and Celsius, but the method that gives the same temperature as the original is better.
Euphoriet
AMU
So... I'm wondering what the measurement of an AMU (atomic mass unit) is... I mean.. I've heard it's really the weight of a proton but then I'm told the proton's weight is actually 1.0073 amu.. so what is the amu based on then?

btw: how do you pronounce a decimal number such as ... .0007 or .0000009?

Thanks.

ALSO...

I was reviewing diff temp conversion and the "formulas" for them... I noticed something that kind of made me stop for a second...

(F - 32ºF) x (5ºC/9ºF) = C

Now.. knowing how both temps are the same at -40º, I worked it out and it doesn't quite work when it's done like this:

-40 - 32 = -72

now take 5/9 = .555555etc...

that means it can't possibly be -40 but instead around 39.999 or something...

Now.. if you instead cross multiple and simplify the 72 into an 8 and the 9 into a 1 then you get:

-8 x 5/1 = -40

My problem clearly is mathematical... so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.. and why with the two "valid" methods there is a difference, small but there's one.

I hope it's not some theory of how .999999999999999999999 is technically one.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello

Your first question is about carbon's 12-based amu system. If you look for carbon, you'll see that it is 12.00 amu, where its previous partner, oxygen, is 15.999 (formerly it was used as a standard to be 16.00).

English is not my native language, so I don't know how to pronounce it. However, very small numbers like 0.000000000007 or 0.0000000000009 could be expressed by scientific means; the former becomes 7E-12 (or 7x10-12), and the latter becomes 9E-13 (or 9x10-13).

Fahrenheit-Celsius conversion is very simple; the crucial thing here is that fahrenheit scale consists of 180 parts, while celsius has 100. Melting of ice is 0°C in celsius, but 32°F in fahrenheit, whereas boiling of water is 100°C in celsius, while 180°F in fahrenheit.

If you want to convert a temperature given in Fahrenheit to Celsius, simply subtract 32 from the number, multiply by 100, and finally divide to 180. The ratio 5/9 is actually 100/180.

I haven't heard of "same temperatures in both scales", so let's try it:

[tex]x=\frac {(x-32)*5}{9}; 9x=5x-160; 4x=-160; x=-40[/tex]

Euphoriet said:
I hope it's not some theory of how .999999999999999999999 is technically one.

Lasciate ogni speranza :)

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

You should always the modern fraction notation and not use decimal notation in intermediary steps,unless u use the [itex] \approx,\simeq [/itex] signs...

Daniel.

1. What is AMU and how is it related to temperature conversions?

AMU stands for atomic mass unit, which is a unit of measurement used to express the mass of atoms and molecules. It is related to temperature conversions because the mass of atoms and molecules affects their thermal energy, which in turn affects temperature.

2. How is the temperature scale used in AMU conversions different from the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales?

The temperature scale used in AMU conversions is the Kelvin scale, which is an absolute temperature scale. This means that it starts at absolute zero (0 Kelvin) and does not have negative values. In contrast, the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales have negative values and are based on the freezing and boiling points of water.

3. Can AMU be used to convert between different units of temperature?

No, AMU is a unit of mass and cannot be directly used to convert between temperature units. However, it can be used in calculations to determine the mass of atoms or molecules at a certain temperature.

4. How does temperature affect the mass of atoms and molecules?

As temperature increases, the thermal energy of atoms and molecules also increases. This can cause them to vibrate or move faster, which can slightly increase their mass. However, this change in mass is very small and is usually only significant in extreme temperatures.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the mass of atoms and molecules besides temperature?

Yes, the mass of atoms and molecules can also be affected by changes in pressure, chemical reactions, and nuclear reactions. However, these changes are often much more significant than the small changes caused by temperature and are not typically considered in temperature conversions.