Good reference book or links for material selection

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the need for reference books and links that cover basic parameters of materials and mechanical properties, specifically in American, British, German, and Indian standards. Suggestions were given, such as "Mechanical and Metal Trades Handbook," "ASM Handbook: Mechanical Testing and Evaluation," and websites for ASTM, BSI, DIN, and BIS. The conversation ended with well wishes for the individual's business venture.
Harshal2109
Hi Everyone,

I am basically a post graduate student try to set up my own business. Its a mechanical based business. I come across activities like material selection, fabrication, machining & installation and commissioning. In short turnkey projects.

Since my activities are customer based so I have to refer different standards American / British / German / Indian Standards (Primarily all the 4 standards).

So my dilemma is can anyone suggest me such a reference books or links which cover the basic parameters like (Chemical composition & mechanical properties i.e. tensile, elongation etc)

The basic need is, if a customer states (for example 1000 UTS then I can find equivalent material in the corresponding (American / British / German / Indian) Standards.

Basic standardized books with (American / British / German / Indian) standards into consideration will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Harshal

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Harshal,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. As a scientist in the field of mechanical engineering, I can understand your dilemma and the importance of referring to different standards for your business. Here are some suggestions for reference books and links that may be helpful to you:

1. "Mechanical and Metal Trades Handbook" by Ulrich Fischer, Roland Gomeringer, and Max Heinzler - This book covers basic mechanical properties and standards for materials used in mechanical engineering, including American, British, German, and Indian standards.

2. "ASM Handbook: Mechanical Testing and Evaluation" - This handbook is a comprehensive guide to mechanical testing and evaluation of materials, including information on standards and specifications from different countries.

3. "Machinery's Handbook" by Erik Oberg, Franklin Jones, and Holbrook Horton - This handbook is a popular reference for mechanical engineers and includes information on materials and their properties, as well as standards and specifications from different countries.

4. The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) website - This website provides access to a wide range of standards and specifications for materials used in various industries, including mechanical engineering.

5. The British Standards Institution (BSI) website - This website offers access to British standards and specifications for materials and products, including those used in mechanical engineering.

6. The German Institute for Standardization (DIN) website - This website provides access to German standards and specifications for materials and products, including those used in mechanical engineering.

7. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) website - This website offers access to Indian standards and specifications for materials and products, including those used in mechanical engineering.

I hope these suggestions will help you in your search for reference materials. Best of luck with your business venture!

1. What factors should I consider when selecting materials for a project?

When selecting materials, it is important to consider factors such as the desired properties of the material (e.g. strength, flexibility, conductivity), the environmental conditions the material will be exposed to, and the cost and availability of the material.

2. Are there any reference books that provide comprehensive information on material selection?

Yes, there are several reference books that can be helpful in material selection. Some popular options include "Materials Selection in Mechanical Design" by Michael Ashby, "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr., and "Handbook of Materials Selection" by Myer Kutz.

3. How can I find reliable online resources for material selection?

There are many reliable online resources for material selection, including industry associations, government websites, and technical journals. It is important to critically evaluate the source and ensure that the information is from a reputable and unbiased source.

4. Are there any tools or software available for material selection?

Yes, there are various tools and software available to assist with material selection. Some popular options include CES Selector, MatWeb, and Granta MI. These tools can help with material property data, comparison of different materials, and optimization of material selection for specific applications.

5. How can I ensure that the materials I select will be sustainable and environmentally friendly?

To ensure that materials are sustainable and environmentally friendly, it is important to consider factors such as the material's life cycle, recyclability, and environmental impact. There are also certifications and standards, such as LEED and ISO 14001, that can guide material selection towards sustainability.