Austenite to Ferrite and Martensite

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
In summary, creating only ferrite and martensite from a hypoeutectoid plain carbon steel can be achieved by using a fast quench to cool the steel from 1400F to below the martensite start temperature. This can be seen on the TTT diagram between A1 and A3. Additionally, pure ferrite can be created from austenite by heating 1030 steel to 1700F and then cooling it to 1400F, resulting in a mixture of ferrite and austenite. However, a fast quench is necessary to prevent any transformation of the austenite before reaching the martensite start temperature.
member 392791
Hello,

I am wondering how I could create only ferrite and martensite from a hypoeutectoid plain carbon steel. I am looking at the TTT diagram, and I don't see how this can be done. If I quench to create martensite, and then temper it I will have ferrite and cementite. I don't see how I could separate the ferrite from the cementite. I don't see pure ferrite anywhere on the TTT diagram, is it a metastable phase that is not shown?

Also, is it possible to create pure ferrite from austenite?

Attachments

• TTT-curve-for-carbon-steel-AISI-1050.jpg
    TTT-curve-for-carbon-steel-AISI-1050.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,595
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Start by looking at an iron-iron carbide phase diagram. For example, if you take 1030 steel and heat it to 1700F, will become 100% austenite.

Then cool it to 1400F and let it sit for a long time. You will then have a mixture of ferrite and austinite. This is the area between A1 & A3 on your TTT diagram. Note that the transformation time is in the 1000 to 10000 second range.

Use a fast quench to get the steel from 1400F to below the martensite start temperature.

You need a fast quench to prevent any transformation of the austinite before it reaches the martenisite start temperature.

1. What is the process of transforming austenite to ferrite and martensite?

The process of transforming austenite to ferrite and martensite is known as phase transformation. It occurs when the temperature of the metal is lowered and the atomic structure changes from face-centered cubic (FCC) to body-centered cubic (BCC) or hexagonal close-packed (HCP).

2. What factors influence the transformation of austenite to ferrite and martensite?

The transformation of austenite to ferrite and martensite can be influenced by the composition of the alloy, cooling rate, and temperature. Other factors such as the presence of impurities and the grain size of the metal can also affect the transformation process.

3. How does the transformation of austenite to ferrite and martensite affect the properties of the metal?

The transformation of austenite to ferrite and martensite can significantly alter the mechanical, physical, and chemical properties of the metal. For example, martensitic transformation can increase the hardness and strength of the metal, while ferritic transformation can improve its ductility and toughness.

4. What is the difference between ferrite and martensite?

Ferrite and martensite are two different crystal structures that can form during the transformation of austenite. Ferrite has a BCC structure and is relatively soft and ductile, while martensite has a BCT (body-centered tetragonal) structure and is much harder and stronger.

5. How is the transformation of austenite to ferrite and martensite used in industrial applications?

The transformation of austenite to ferrite and martensite is a critical process in the heat treatment of metals, which is commonly used in industrial applications. It can be used to improve the mechanical properties of metals, such as increasing their strength and hardness, and to tailor their microstructures for specific purposes.