Calculating Charge Carrier Density in Materials: Formula and Table of Values

In summary, the conversation is about finding a formula or table for calculating charge carrier density of a material, with a specific interest in graphite. The participants suggest looking at formula 18 and others on a specific website, but also mention that there may not be a general formula as metals and semiconductors have different properties. They also mention using this information for a Hall probe project.
plasmabrain
I've been trying to find a formula for calculating charge carrier density of a material, or a table of values , but can't seem to find any. If anyone knows of a link to a formula or table, any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
Plas

Physics news on Phys.org
there's no general formula since metals and semiconductors have very different properities. did you have metals or semicondutors in mind or both?

marlon said:
Check out formula's 18 and others of this site :

http://britneyspears.ac/physics/basics/basics.htm

marlon

ps : look at the formula's, NOT the pictures... Remain focussed...It is not easy to study physics

haha. we used that page at a solid state physics course I took.

inha said:
haha. we used that page at a solid state physics course I took.

same here

marlon

marlon said:
same here

marlon

Baby, hit me one more time.

I was actually wondering about graphite, ex70 in particular (1.85 g/cm2).

Basically, I'm trying to find good materials for a Hall probe project I'm working on, and I'm considering what I have laying around, but can't find values for anything I have.

Plas

how?

I find this
In TaN, each Ta atom contributes three electrons to the N 2p band and two electrons to the 5d conduction band, resulting in a charge carrier density n = 9.7 X 10to power 22 cm−3
how? any idea?

What is charge carrier density?

Charge carrier density refers to the number of charge carriers per unit volume in a material. Charge carriers can be either positive (such as protons) or negative (such as electrons).

How is charge carrier density measured?

Charge carrier density can be measured using various techniques, such as Hall effect measurements, conductivity measurements, or capacitance measurements.

What factors affect charge carrier density?

The main factors that affect charge carrier density are temperature, impurities in the material, and the type of material (e.g. metal, semiconductor, insulator).

Why is charge carrier density important?

Charge carrier density is an important property in understanding the electrical behavior of materials. It affects the material's conductivity, resistivity, and other electrical properties.

How does charge carrier density relate to current flow?

The movement of charge carriers is responsible for current flow in a material. Therefore, higher charge carrier density typically results in higher current flow, while lower charge carrier density results in lower current flow.