Calculating the froce between two magnets

• Thread starter chui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary: Mass does not play a role in either force.In summary, the formula for calculating the magnetic force between two magnets involves the permeability of the medium between them, which is often air. Additionally, magnetic poles (or monopoles) have not been observed to exist and the force between real magnets is calculated using dipole models. Unlike gravity, the force of magnetism is not affected by mass, as it is a relativistic correction to the electric force and depends on charge and velocity.
Physics news on Phys.org
chui said:
I have a formula, taken from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet#Calculating_the_Magnetic_Force"
But I didnt get the meaning of "mu" in this formula..
can anyone explain?
[tex] \mu [/tex] is the permeability of the medium between the magnets, in your case this is probably air, the value of [itex] \mu_{air} \approx \mu_0 = 1.26 x 10^{-4} \frac {Henry} {meter} [/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing that's worth pointing out is that magnetic poles (aka monopoles) have never been observed to exist, though theoretically they may have existed at very early times in the formation of the universe.

So if you want to calculate the force between a pair of real magnets like the kind you'll be likely to find on your refrigeratior, you'll need to work out the force between dipoles, not magnetic poles (aka monoples). This will lead to a much more complex formula, and a non-inverse square relationship for the force.

Modeling a magnetic dipole as a pair of magnetic poles some distance will be very useful in calculating the force between real magnets, but as far as real-life applicaitons go, the wikipedia formula has only done half the job.

no mass?

Well, Does this force not effected by the magnet Mass?! (unlike gravity etc.)
why is that?

The electric force between two charges depends on the charge, not the mass. The magnetic force is basically a relativistic correction to the electric force, so it depends on charge and velocity (i.e. current).

1. How do I calculate the force between two magnets?

The force between two magnets can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * m1 * m2) / (4π * r^2), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the strengths of the two magnets, and r is the distance between them.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic force?

The unit of measurement for magnetic force is Newtons (N).

3. Can the force between two magnets be attractive or repulsive?

Yes, the force between two magnets can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the orientation of their poles. Like poles (north to north or south to south) will repel each other, while opposite poles (north to south) will attract.

4. Does the distance between two magnets affect the force between them?

Yes, the force between two magnets is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases.

5. How do I know the strength of a magnet for the force calculation?

The strength of a magnet is typically represented by its magnetic moment, which is measured in units of Ampere-meters squared (A*m^2). This information can usually be found on the packaging or label of the magnet.