Work with a university to develope the invention first

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on obtaining a patent for their invention and has two options: hiring a patent attorney to submit a provisional patent with preliminary ideas, or working with a university to develop the invention and potentially using their patent lawyers. The speaker suggests setting up contracts and non-disclosure agreements before working with the university to protect their patent rights and potential profits.
PRodQuanta
I'm in the process of trying to obtain a patent. I have 2 choices:

1) I could spend my money on a patent attourny and take a shot at a patent with just preliminary ideas and calculations,or

2) I could work with a university to develope the invention first.

I'm leaning towards the latter, for maybe the university will have patent attourny's that work for them that they would let me use in a partnership patent.

I was wondering if anybody has had any experiences of advice about patents. The only stuff I could come up with was stuff that was on the internet, and in a book (in the back of the book Hacking Matter, the author explains how he obtained his patent on an application for quantum dots).

Paden Roder

Physics news on Phys.org
With only preliminary ideas, you can likely only get a provisional patent. This is good for a year and buys you time to develop the idea more thoroughly while offering "patent pending" protection status as you prepare the full patent submission. A reputable law firm will give you a first consultation free to go over your idea and decide if it's at a stage that's worth trying to patent. They'll be honest because it's their reputation as well as yours on the line if they send a lot of junk to the patent examiners and the applications get rejected.

If you choose to work with a university, yes, they have their own patent lawyers. But, the catch is that you then share the invention and any profits on the invention with the university. If you already have contacts at the university, I'd suggest before you start any actual work there, you set up in advance contracts that specify what percentage of the invention and future profits are yours and what belongs to the university. Also, arrange for non-disclosure agreements with whoever you will be working with. You don't want to lose patent rights because they decide to present the data at a scientific conference and reveal everything about the invention. Depending on what your invention idea is, there are ways to set up non-disclosure agreements that will allow the scientists to still present data and progress without revealing the nature of your invention. For example, I might work with a pharmaceutical company to test a new compound. I can't say what the compound is, what it's structure is, or what it's mechanism of action is, but I can say that a proprietary compound from such and such a company was used and they will hopefully allow me to reveal that it acts on a certain receptor or type of cell or whatever, even if I can't reveal how it acts on those.

Good luck.

ick

Working with a university to develop your invention first is a smart choice. Not only will you have the resources and expertise of the university to help you refine your invention, but they may also have access to patent attorneys who can assist you in the patent process. This partnership will not only increase your chances of obtaining a patent, but it can also lead to potential collaborations and commercialization opportunities for your invention.

In terms of advice for obtaining a patent, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the patent process and requirements. This may include consulting with a patent attorney, attending workshops or seminars, and reading resources such as books or online articles. It is also important to keep detailed records and documentation of your invention and its development, as this will be crucial in the patent application process.

Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to other inventors or individuals who have gone through the patent process for their insights and advice. Networking and building connections in the industry can also be beneficial in navigating the patent process.

Overall, working with a university and seeking advice and guidance from experienced individuals can greatly increase your chances of successfully obtaining a patent for your invention. Good luck with your patent journey!

1. How does working with a university benefit the invention development process?

Collaborating with a university can provide access to resources such as advanced equipment, skilled researchers, and funding opportunities that may not be available to individual inventors. Additionally, universities have established networks and partnerships that can help with the commercialization and marketing of the invention.

2. What steps should be taken when working with a university to develop an invention?

The first step is to establish a clear and mutually beneficial partnership agreement with the university. This may involve outlining ownership and profit sharing agreements, as well as expectations for the university's involvement in the development process. It is also important to communicate regularly and openly with the university team and to ensure that all parties are working towards the same goals.

3. How long does it typically take to develop an invention with a university?

The timeline for invention development can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the invention, the resources available, and the level of collaboration between the inventor and the university. On average, it can take anywhere from several months to several years to fully develop an invention with a university.

4. Can an inventor retain ownership of their invention when working with a university?

This will depend on the specific partnership agreement between the inventor and the university. In some cases, the inventor may retain full ownership of the invention while the university provides support and resources. In other cases, the university may have a stake in the ownership and profits of the invention. It is important to carefully negotiate and clarify ownership rights before beginning the development process.

5. Are there any potential challenges or risks to working with a university on invention development?

As with any partnership, there may be challenges and risks involved in working with a university on invention development. These may include conflicting goals and expectations, intellectual property disputes, and delays in the development process. It is important to thoroughly research the university and their policies, as well as carefully negotiate the partnership agreement to mitigate these potential challenges.