Removing oil aerosols(mist) from compressed air

In summary, the conversation discusses the removal of oil vapors from a container using a vacuum pump and the best solution for collecting them. The suggested solution is to use a filter or a compressor and condenser to collect the oil vapors before they are released into the atmosphere. It is important to note the difference between oil aerosols and oil vapors, as well as the size of the oil droplets. The conversation also mentions the need for regular maintenance and the difficulty of processing the collected oil emulsion.
malkio
Hello!
My process looks like this:
i've oil container with constant vacuum of 3-10 mbar for removing oil aerosols from container.that vacuum is produced by ejector(vacuum pump) down the line in which goes air at 6 bar.oil aerosols then together with air goes to atmosphere.
what I'm trying to do is remove that oil aerosols from stream and collect them at another container so i'have clean air going out and not losing oil.
-what's best or most common solution for that kind of problem?
-what type of filter or separator?
-is it better to put it before or after ejector?
-what 's the difference?

tnx

Engineering news on Phys.org
maybe I've wrong said,what I'm trying to remove are oil vapours

malkio said:
what I'm trying to remove are oil vapours

Probably one would have to use a filter to collect the vapors, or chill the air with or without centrifugal filter.

Last edited:
You will need a coelescing filter arrangement. They are usually used in tandem with a particulate filter.

Take a look here for examples:
http://www.wilkersoncorp.com/product/coalescing.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are just trying to clean your exhaust gases then find a diving supplier and buy a compressor filter stack. These are designed to provide breathable air and in particular take oils out. The oil migrates to the bottom of the stack so you can can purge the stack periodically by closing the outlet and blowing it through a vent on the base.

Things to note:
The filter stack will need regular cleaning and periodic replacing dependent on the contamination levels and flow rates.

If you are trying to remove particulates smaller than the filters can handle with the required flow rates in order to get pure air you can use a compressor and condenser.

Basically take your vacuum output and put it through a compressor. When it is pressurized release it into a condensing chamber. The drop in pressure and hence temperature causes fluids to condense out and drop to the bottom of the condensing chamber.
The condensate traps solid particles as it forms, leaving you with extremely pure air, so pure it is difficult to breath as it dries your lungs up.

Things to note:
The output from you vacuum pump won't like being compressed. You will need to fill a vessel and then compress from that vessel.
You may need to seed the air with a small amount of water to get sufficient condensate to collect the oil vapour depending on relative humidity of the air in the cans.
You get an oil emulsion out the end which will be difficult to process.

FredGarvin very helpful link,tnx to you and others too,
maybe i wrong explained problem at first,because I'm from non speaking english area so I'm bit confused with oil aerosol vs oil vapour,what's the difference?
i think i deal with oil vapour because oil just evaporate in container,don't going through some process
and what size are oil vapour droplets?as i understand from link FredGarvin give they are smaller then oil aerosol droplets but 0.003 sounds pretty small to me,i just need air free of oil for intake of air compressors
tnx

1. How do oil aerosols form in compressed air?

Oil aerosols in compressed air are formed when oil used in the compressor for lubrication and cooling purposes is carried along with the compressed air into the air receiver tank. The oil is then atomized into small droplets due to the high pressure and turbulence in the tank, resulting in oil aerosols in the compressed air.

2. What are the potential dangers of oil aerosols in compressed air?

Oil aerosols in compressed air can cause contamination in downstream equipment and processes, leading to product quality issues. They can also result in clogged filters, reduced efficiency of pneumatic tools, and increased maintenance costs. Additionally, if inhaled, oil aerosols can pose health hazards to workers.

3. How can oil aerosols be removed from compressed air?

Oil aerosols can be removed from compressed air using a combination of filtration and coalescing techniques. Filtration involves passing the compressed air through a filter media that traps particles as small as 0.01 microns. Coalescing involves forcing the oil droplets to collide and merge into larger droplets, which can then be separated from the air stream.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a filtration system for removing oil aerosols?

When choosing a filtration system, factors such as the required air quality, flow rate, pressure, and temperature of the compressed air should be considered. The type and amount of oil present in the compressed air, as well as the size and type of particles to be removed, also play a crucial role in selecting the appropriate filtration system.

5. How often should the filtration system be maintained to ensure effective removal of oil aerosols?

The frequency of maintenance for a filtration system depends on various factors, including the type of system, operating conditions, and the level of oil contamination in the compressed air. Generally, it is recommended to change the filter elements every 6-12 months or when the pressure drop across the filter exceeds the manufacturer's specifications.