Are there solutions available for Zwiebach's string theory book?

In summary, the author of the book "A first course in string theory" has just acquired Zwiebach's book and found it to be very clear and easy to follow. He has found that Zwiebach does not use supersymmetry, but instead relies more heavily on the mathematics behind string theory formulas. The coverage of topics is very good, and he likes the toy model of the bosonic string that Zwiebach provides. He found the coverage of thermodynamics and t-duality to be particularly helpful.
can someone send me the solutions? e.bonenfant@gmail.com

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a question for someone at third year undergrad level.

Would it be worth trying to teach myself from this book before having learned GR/QFT, or am I better off getting a head start in GR and then attempting this book?

As far as I know the MIT students learn this course before having done GR. What do you think of this approach? Can prior knowledge of strings enhance future understanding of GR/QFT?

Hi there,

I almost cried when I found your post at physics forum! I'm a grad student from UC Berkeley currently trying to teach myself string theory. I'd appreciate if you can send me the solution to Zwiebach's text.

My email is:
joechien0218@yahoo.com

By the way, as far as I know not many schools in the US offer standard string theory course apart from MIT. UC Berkeley for the first time is doing this in the Fall 2007 by offering PHY 232A taught by Prof Horova, a supposedly one of the main contributor in string theory!

Anyway, thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
Joe

I'm a biophysicist who studies vibrations in the ear. I'm doing some ST self study and would really appreciate solutions from anyone willing to send them.

Thanks! (doodlepi@gmail.com)

jdstokes said:
I have a question for someone at third year undergrad level.

Would it be worth trying to teach myself from this book before having learned GR/QFT, or am I better off getting a head start in GR and then attempting this book?

As far as I know the MIT students learn this course before having done GR. What do you think of this approach? Can prior knowledge of strings enhance future understanding of GR/QFT?

It's indeed written in such a way that GR is not a prerequisite. Actually, he does such a godo job that I personally think that it may be worthwhile to read his book (especially chapter 6) before doing GR (that's my own opinion, I am sure some people would disagree). As for QFT, his introduction is very brief so that might be a bit more challenging to absorb, but you may disagree. In any case, this is not an issue until chapter 9 I think and some people may find the background he gives sufficient to keep going (if not, other books can be used at that point to give some extra background). For the first 8 chapters, only some knowledge of special relativity, quantum mechanics and and lagrangian mechanics (variational principle, etc) are necessary. I would recommend going ahead with Zwiebach and trying to go as far as possible.

nitin said:
Hi yaqh and others

I have the solutions to almost all of the end-of-chapter problems. Given that a significant number of people have been seeking solutions, I'm willing to take the risk and supply the solutions to the exercises in Zwiebach's book to whoever is interested. The solutions are:
1) not copyrighted, as far as I can tell (so I think there's legally no problem to make it available to many)
2) are in PDF format
3) are more than 7 Mb large in toto (zipped)

To those interested, please post your emails on this thread. One thing though.. I would be very unhappy if you spread my email around, so please refrain from doing so.

Nitin
Hi Nitin
Could you please email me the solutions to Zwiebach's book at:
vivek[at]khimjee.com
Thanking you,
Vivek

nitin said:
Hi yaqh and others

I have the solutions to almost all of the end-of-chapter problems. Given that a significant number of people have been seeking solutions, I'm willing to take the risk and supply the solutions to the exercises in Zwiebach's book to whoever is interested. The solutions are:
1) not copyrighted, as far as I can tell (so I think there's legally no problem to make it available to many)
2) are in PDF format
3) are more than 7 Mb large in toto (zipped)

To those interested, please post your emails on this thread. One thing though.. I would be very unhappy if you spread my email around, so please refrain from doing so.

Nitin

Hi Nitin
I’m interested in getting the solutions to Zwiebach's book could you please email me the solutions to at
Xenomorph816@gmail.com
Thank you for helping me out
Xenomorph816

Hello,
I’m also interested in getting the solutions to Zwiebach's book. Could anyone please email me the solutions.
lilu42@gmx.net
Thanks a lot

we should reorganize this. It has some logic that people asking for solutions would first to ask to the people Last in the thread, and then when having a copy available to leave themselves their email, or to indicate that they are available via personal messaging in physics forums.

To begin with, I am making sure the four listed email addresses before this message do receive the file.

I would be very grateful if someone could send me the solutions as well - Thanks in advance.

geoff.cope@gmail.com

geoffc said:
I would be very grateful if someone could send me the solutions as well - Thanks in advance.

geoff.cope@gmail.com

:cry::cry::cry:

Thank you for pointing out that I am, in fact, a complete moron who doesn't take the time to read the previous posts. I e-mailed the person who posted before me requesting solutions, and as soon as I receive them will be happy to forward them to whoever asks. Sorry I made you cry.

No problem :-) :-) By the way, some other person has pointed to me that the file with the answers (or one of them) already can be found in some of the huge semi-underground repositories of scanned books in .djvu

I'd suggest to email not only the last person but the two or three last ones, just in case.

Has anyone had any luck finding solutions for Becker, Becker, Schwarz?

I have solution to zweibach's...
does anyone have solutions to becker becker shwarz'. I'd great appreciate if someone can email them to me.
jessica.martin2002 at yahoo.com

Solutions

Hello there! Could anybody please mail me a copy of the solutions to the Zwiebach-book? My email is leuat@irio.co.uk

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I'll love to have a copy of Zwiebach's solutions as well. Please send to "mailto:pitacrus@hotmail.com"[/URL]. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I too would like to request to have a solution to Zwiebach's Book and the solution to becker becker shwarz. My e-mail id is

lightspeedalice@yahoo.com

Hey guys, I'd appreciate it if someone could send me the solutions to Zwiebach's Book.

My email is: bob1182006@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance!

On my side (al.rivero@gmail.com) I only have the solutions of the first part, please email me privately AND (feign some interest about my rants (say, arxiv 0710.1526) OR provide some other interesting collection of problems and solutions)

Hello there! Could anybody please mail me a copy of the solutions to the Zwiebach-book in PDF? My email is josephpalazzo@hotmail.com

Thanks

Tx, Alice Watson, wherever you are...

JP

Solution to zwiebach

Hey guys ... could someone send the solution to Zwiebach to this email adress please?

jmcarter17 at rogers.com

thanks in advance!

okay, i just emailed them to you the file is large though

I am interested in studying ST

Hi guys,

I would be very grateful if you could send me the answers to A first course in string theory by Zwiebach

My email is
malhakami@gmail.com

josephpalazzo said:
Tx, Alice Watson, wherever you are...

JP

Wlcm JP

Hello everyone!

I hope it is not too late!
I'm still desperately looking for the solution...I'm planning to study independently.

So could anybody please e-mail me a copy of the solutions to the "Zwiebach" book?

My email is pmx22@daum.net

Thank you very much!
I really appreacite it.

Chapstick said:
Hello everyone!

I hope it is not too late!
Yes it is too late. All the main institutions have announced they will close their string theory programs and main editorials have decided not to keep printing or distributing texts on this topic. Teachers have been relocated to Classical Mechanics lectures or disbanded. The arxiv has announced he will be barring access to string preprints except for proven historical purposes.

arivero said:
Yes it is too late. All the main institutions have announced they will close their string theory programs and main editorials have decided not to keep printing or distributing texts on this topic. Teachers have been relocated to Classical Mechanics lectures or disbanded. The arxiv has announced he will be barring access to string preprints except for proven historical purposes.

Alejandro -

This is definitely not my area, but is there some resource that verifies what you just said?
It doesn't seem credible that all the string programs would simply crash. Unless I missed something - which is quite probable.

Gosh - think how many preprints, books, etc., would be in the junk pile...

Well I was not trying to be credible :rofl: Just amazed about the expression "I hope it is not too late!"

*kick*

Hi guys,
as I was searching for the solutions of the Zwiebach-book, I stumbled upon this thread. Like the most of you, I've recently begun working through the book by myself, getting stuck at the problems at times. I would really appreciate it if anyone could send the solutions (preferably in .pdf format) to s_sebastiaan[at]hotmail.com

Cheers

Hi, I'm missing solutions for chap 17 to 23, for the Zwiebach textbook. Can anyone help out?

Thanks

josephpalazzo@hotmail.com

Hi, I'ld like the solutions to Zwiebach as well. My e-mail address is quicksilver06 [at] hotmail.com .

Thanks