Tension in Cables Supporting a Watermelon on Scaffolding

In summary, the tension in the cable closest to the watermelon is greater than the tension in the cable at the end of the scaffold
galuda
An 8.9kg watermelon is placed at one end of a 6.1m, 238 N scaffolding supported by two cables. One supporting cable is at the opposite end of the scaffolding, and the other is 0.76 m from the watermelon. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

How much tension is in the cable at the end of the scaffolding?
How much tension is in the cable closest to the watermelon?

I really have no clue how to go about this. Any relevant formulas I should know?

Physics news on Phys.org
The system is in equilibrium. Sum of forces in y direction and sum of torques about any point must equal zero. Don't forget the torque from the scaffolding .

For equilibrium of a body:
1. ΣF = 0
2. ΣT = 0
where, F is the force and T is the torque.
(bold ones are vector quantities.)

ok well with the watermelon converted over to N I've got a total of 325.28N * 9.8m/s^2 = 3187.744 for my downward force. If that is correct then how do I apply the distance from the melon to figure the tension on the individual cables?

galuda said:
ok well with the watermelon converted over to N I've got a total of 325.28N * 9.8m/s^2 = 3187.744 for my downward force. If that is correct then how do I apply the distance from the melon to figure the tension on the individual cables?

Remember: Always try to be atleast dimensionally correct!
How come, "325.28N * 9.8m/s^2 = 3187.744 for my downward force"?? You must be knowing, unit of force is N.. then how, N * m/s^2 = N??
In fact, if tensions in the strings are T1 and T2, then
T1 + T2 = 238N + 8.9kg*9.8m/s^2 = 325.22N.

Now, take torque about any point and equate to zero to get one more equation involving T1 and/or T2. Then, solve for T1 and T2 from the two equations obtained. It would be quicker if you take torque about the point where the cable meets scaffolding (either of them).

ah ok sorry about that. Thank yall very much for the assistance.

1. What is a cable tension problem?

A cable tension problem refers to a situation where a cable or wire is subjected to forces that cause it to stretch or compress, resulting in a change in its tension. This can occur in various applications such as bridges, elevators, and suspension systems.

2. How is cable tension measured?

Cable tension is typically measured using a tension gauge or load cell. These devices measure the force applied to the cable and can provide readings in units of weight or force.

3. What factors affect cable tension?

The tension in a cable is affected by several factors, including the weight and length of the cable, the forces acting on it, and the material properties of the cable itself. Other factors such as temperature and environmental conditions can also impact cable tension.

4. What are the consequences of improper cable tension?

Improper cable tension can lead to a variety of issues, including increased wear and tear on the cable, decreased stability and safety in the system it is supporting, and potential failure of the cable or the entire structure. It is important to monitor and maintain proper tension to prevent these consequences.

5. How can cable tension problems be solved?

Cable tension problems can be solved by adjusting the forces acting on the cable, redistributing the weight of the load on the cable, or reinforcing the cable with additional support. The specific solution will depend on the nature of the problem and the application in which the cable is being used.