Total derivative formula nonsense

In summary, the confusion surrounding the total derivative formula in textbooks is due to varying notations and definitions. The formula itself follows from the chain rule and should include the function f on both sides of the equation. This issue can cause confusion and should be addressed in textbooks to avoid wasting time and effort for students.
mathboy
Total derivative formula confusion

It took me over an hour to fully resolve the confusion that appears in textbooks about the total derivate formula. Some textbooks use the term total derivative if a function f is a function t and other variables, and each of those variables themselves are functions of t. I'm going to challenge the formulas they give, including the first formula in this wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_derivative

Here is my refutation. Please tell me if I'm right or not.

Attachments

• My Refutation.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What has this to do with homework?
The total derivative just follows from the chain rule:

[tex] \dfrac{d}{dt} \Phi (t,x(t),y(t),z(t)) = \dfrac{\partial \Phi}{\partial t} \dfrac{d(t)}{dt} + \dfrac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x} \dfrac{dx}{dt} + \dfrac{\partial \Phi}{\partial y} \dfrac{dy}{dt} + \dfrac{\partial \Phi}{\partial z} \dfrac{dz}{dt} [/tex]

I don't really see a "refutation" in that. The three definitions of "total differential" given in the Wikipedia article you cite are just three slightly different ways of phrasing the same definition.

The textbooks should not teach with sloppy notations. It made me lose an hour of my homework time resolving something that shouldn't have been there in the first place (putting the exact same f on both sides of the equation).

Last edited:
How many textbooks have you constulted? And what kind? How could you spend one hour resolving that?

the f should appear on both sides of th equation as your differentiating f, the partial and the derivative are two very different things.

1. What is the total derivative formula?

The total derivative formula is a mathematical tool used in multivariate calculus to calculate the change in a function with respect to multiple variables. It is also known as the chain rule in higher dimensions.

2. How is the total derivative formula used?

The total derivative formula is used to find the rate of change of a function in multiple dimensions. It is often used in physics, economics, and engineering to model complex systems and analyze their behavior.

3. What is the difference between total derivative and partial derivative?

The total derivative is the overall change in a function with respect to all of its variables, while the partial derivative is the change in a function with respect to one specific variable, holding all others constant.

4. Can the total derivative formula be applied to any function?

Yes, the total derivative formula can be applied to any continuous function with multiple variables, as long as the function is differentiable.

5. Are there any practical applications of the total derivative formula?

Yes, the total derivative formula has practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to model and analyze systems with multiple variables and to optimize functions in real-world scenarios.