Private MessagingRead/Unread Status

• Bug
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the 'read' status of private messages and how it always shows as 'read' even immediately after sending it. The use of Safari is mentioned and it is noted that message tracking is for seeing if the recipient has read the message. It is also mentioned that a read receipt can be requested when sending a PM.
Saladsamurai
When I send a PM, after a few days of no response I like to check to see of the person got my PM. So I look at the little 'piece of paper' icon that indicates read or unread.

It always shows 'read' status. Even the instant after I have sent the message.

I use Safari by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is to show if you read your own message? :) Message tracking is for seeing if the recipient has read the message.

You can request a read receipt when you send a PM.

Kurdt said:
You can request a read receipt when you send a PM.

Wow. I didn't realize that.

What is the purpose of a private messaging read/unread status?

The purpose of a private messaging read/unread status is to indicate whether or not a message has been read by the recipient. This feature allows users to know if their message has been seen by the intended recipient.

How does the read/unread status work?

The read/unread status works by tracking when a message has been opened or viewed by the recipient. Once the message has been opened, the status will change from "unread" to "read".

Can the read/unread status be turned off?

It depends on the messaging platform or application being used. Some platforms may allow users to turn off the read/unread status feature, while others may not have this option.

Can the read/unread status be faked?

It is possible for the read/unread status to be faked, but it depends on the messaging platform or application. Some platforms may have ways to bypass or manipulate the status, while others may have security measures in place to prevent this.

Is the read/unread status a reliable indicator of message delivery?

No, the read/unread status is not always a reliable indicator of message delivery. There are various factors that can affect the status, such as network or server issues, and the recipient may have not actually read the message even if the status says otherwise.