Calculating optical power output

In summary, the LED emits 4.03 x 10^16 photons/s at a wavelength of 400nm. The current flowing through the LED is 40mA and the voltage across the LED is 3.5V. The power conversion efficiency of the diode is 0.156W.
snoothie

Homework Statement

A blue semicon LED is connected in series with a 10ohm series resistor to a voltage source. The LED emits 4.03 x 10^16 photons/s at a wavelength of 400nm. The current flowing through the LED is 40mA and the voltage across the LED is 3.5V. Calculate the power conversion efficiency of the diode.

Homework Equations

Given,
Conversion efficiency = (optical output power / electrical input power) x 100%
electrical input power = IV (LED) + IV(resistor)

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculated IV for LED = 40x10^-3 x 3.5 = 0.14W
IV for resistor = (40x10^-3)^2 x 10 = 0.016W
so, electrical input power = 0.156W

Having trouble with finding the optical output power. I guess that it got to do with the LED emission and wavelength?

Does anyone know what is the formula for calculating the optical output power? I could not find the formula in any resources on hand. Thanks a million.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
snoothie said:

Homework Statement

A blue semicon LED is connected in series with a 10ohm series resistor to a voltage source. The LED emits 4.03 x 10^16 photons/s at a wavelength of 400nm. The current flowing through the LED is 40mA and the voltage across the LED is 3.5V. Calculate the power conversion efficiency of the diode.

Homework Equations

Given,
Conversion efficiency = (optical output power / electrical input power) x 100%
electrical input power = IV (LED) + IV(resistor)

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculated IV for LED = 40x10^-3 x 3.5 = 0.14W
IV for resistor = (40x10^-3)^2 x 10 = 0.016W
so, electrical input power = 0.156W

Having trouble with finding the optical output power. I guess that it got to do with the LED emission and wavelength?

Does anyone know what is the formula for calculating the optical output power? I could not find the formula in any resources on hand. Thanks a million.

Not sure they want you to inculde the power lost in the series limiting diode in the LED efficiency calculation, but that's up to you.

On the optical power, I'd start with the equation E=hf, where f is the frequency of the photon (often written as the greek character "nu"). Are you familiar with this equation? From that, you calculate the total power as the flux of however many photons per second, each having that energy E=hf.

Ok. thanks for the leads.

we can use:
E = hc/e.wavelength

then, the flux is simply: Eph x photons/s, which also is the optical output power in watts?

snoothie said:
Ok. thanks for the leads.

we can use:
E = hc/e.wavelength

then, the flux is simply: Eph x photons/s, which also is the optical output power in watts?

Don't know what e.wavelength is, but it looks like you are on the right track.

oh sorry. My bad...

I was referring it as:

Eph = (hc/e) x wavelength

e = 1.6 x 10^-19 eV

Thank you very much for your help.

1. How is optical power output calculated?

Optical power output is calculated by multiplying the optical energy per pulse by the pulse repetition rate. The formula is P = E/t, where P is the power in watts, E is the energy in joules, and t is the time in seconds.

2. What is the unit of measurement for optical power output?

The unit of measurement for optical power output is watts (W). It can also be expressed in milliwatts (mW) or microwatts (μW).

3. What factors affect the calculation of optical power output?

The main factors that affect the calculation of optical power output are the energy of the light source, the duration of the pulse, and the efficiency of the optical system.

4. How is optical power output related to the intensity of light?

Optical power output is directly related to the intensity of light. Intensity is defined as the power per unit area, so as power increases, intensity also increases.

5. Can optical power output be measured directly?

Yes, optical power output can be measured directly using a power meter. This device measures the power of the light beam and gives a reading in watts or other units of power.