Unsolved problems in differential equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses modern lines of investigation in differential equations and the most interesting unsolved questions, equations to solve, and general tools for solving them. One of the main unsolved problems is the existence and uniqueness of a solution, for which Picard's method can be used. There is also a prize for finding a general method to solve these equations known as the Navier-Stokes equations.
jonjacson
¿unsolved problems in differential equations?

Hi, I would like to talk with you about the modern lines of investigation about differential equations ( ode,pde...) , which are the most interesting unsolved questions, ecuations to solve, general tools for solving differential equations ...

I know we have learned a lot, but still there is a lot of work to do .

Physics news on Phys.org

I know a professor who when asked after a colloquium talk to state one of the most important unsolved problems in differential equations stepped to the chalkboard and wrote:

[tex] y' = f(x,y)[/tex]

and sat down.

Yes most equations can't be solved analyticly...

LCKurtz said:
I know a professor who when asked after a colloquium talk to state one of the most important unsolved problems in differential equations stepped to the chalkboard and wrote:

[tex] y' = f(x,y)[/tex]

and sat down.

He should be more precise, I think that you could demonstrate the exixtence and uniqueness of a solution using Picard's method.

Perhaps he was asking for a general method to find the solution?

Here's one with a prize ...

http://www.claymath.org/millennium/Navier-Stokes_Equations/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some examples of unsolved problems in differential equations?

Some examples of unsolved problems in differential equations include the Navier-Stokes equations, the Riemann hypothesis, and the Collatz conjecture.

2. Why are these problems important in the field of mathematics?

These problems are important because they have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also provide fundamental challenges for mathematicians to further their understanding of complex systems.

3. Are there any known solutions to these problems?

There are partial solutions and progress made towards solving these problems, but they remain unsolved and continue to be active areas of research.

4. How do mathematicians approach solving these problems?

Mathematicians use a variety of techniques such as analytical methods, numerical simulations, and computer algorithms to try and solve these problems. They also collaborate with experts in different fields to gain new insights and perspectives.

5. What impact could solving these problems have on society?

Solving these problems could lead to breakthroughs in technology, improved understanding of natural phenomena, and advancements in various fields. It could also pave the way for solving other complex problems and furthering our knowledge of mathematics.